Old Broken Treadmill : is it possible to use another motor / control board?

gnx305

Joined Jul 7, 2020
Hello,

I am overseas. And my old treadmill broke. There is no original replacement for the motor. And a new treadmill in my country is 3 times the cost of a new one in the US.

I have a friend who can get me a new treadmill from Weslo in the US, strip the motor and the board, and send it to me.

If it fits the old model, can switching/changing the motor and the control board work?

Or if I only need to get a new motor alone, how do I pick one? Yeah. I know nothing of mechanics. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The motor is a little more flexible to swap than any control board, even different models in the same series, for example, MC2100 versions all have some slight variation.
IOW the boards are made T.M. model-specific.
.Max.

First of all, before most of us will be able to help, we need to know the Manufacturer, Make and MODEL. It will be on the unit, probably the bottom, usually a small label or metal plate.

Next, assuming that you still have the bad parts (motor and controller), please take a look for the data plates on both motor and controller. Determine if the motor is an AC or DC type and what its operating requirements are (Volts, Watts, Amps or KwH ratings)

The motor might also show the operational RPM range. Gather all available data, then measure the Length and Diameter of the motor, and the diameter and length of the driveshaft(s) of that motor (some have axles on both ends).

Back to the controller... did you open it up and look inside? Did you do any troubleshooting or component checking? Does it (or the motor) smell burnt? Are there any burned spots on the board(s) or domed or split tops on any capacitors? Please do what you can to get pictures of everything... the top and bottom of the board(s) and all angles of the motor and share that with us too.

Once a couple of us get a look at it I am sure you will get much help, and links to data, schematic, user and maintenance books and who knows ....one of us may have had exactly the same issue, spot the problem parts, and tell you how to fix it. And, now you can share all that data and pictures with others here on the forum, and YOU can use that data to start Googling or browsing Ebay or AliExpress for one that is similar or the same exact model.

We need detailed input or we're blind :-

Last edited:

gnx305

Joined Jul 7, 2020
I appreciate the input. The model is Weslo Cadence G-40.
I dont have photos right now.

The motor was checked and the wiring were totally burned. The control board, inspected by 2 technicians (but just by looking at it) said it looked ok.

However, the smelling burn still happens at 1h. The treadmill doesnt stop, because the whole wiring was replaced in the motor.

I have only the befores of the motor. As I said, the thing that concerns me is the burning smell. Fixing this treadmill has been expensive. But it creates me more problems to replace it... :(

Attachments

gnx305

Joined Jul 7, 2020
It is possible, I tried oiling it, also with the proper products. I am not sure if a new belt will be the solution. I would have to buy one from another model and adapt it. But will that fix it?

gnx305

Joined Jul 7, 2020
It doesnt overheat unless I step in. I am at the max weight allowed. But it didnt smell in the past. The treadmill is 9 years old, so it lasted.

albert123

Joined Mar 26, 2009
It doesnt overheat unless I step in. I am at the max weight allowed. But it didnt smell in the past. The treadmill is 9 years old, so it lasted.
Hi
Just seeing your post. Probably too late, and probably you know, about lubricating the walking belt. There is a silicone treadmill belt lubricant that goes between the walking belt and the flat surface underneath. It reduces the walking belt friction and the load on the motor. It is supposed to be lubricated at regular intervals. I would think that a heavy person would create a lot of friction between these surfaces.
Did you find the cause of the problem?