Odd Part on PCB

jsm10

Joined Dec 4, 2023
I am trying to fix a broken “Turtlebox” speaker for a friend. I found several popped caps, but ran across something odd on the PCB. Does anyone know what is is? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

jsm10

Joined Dec 4, 2023
Thanks! I was wondering if that was the case. There are 3 more popcorned 1000uF electrolytics on the PCB. Is there any way to determine what the value of that cap was? The shell is nowhere to be found. Also, what are the chances other things are blown up on the PCB - chips or other? Is it worth trying to replace these caps and see if that fixes it? Thanks in advance!

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
what exactly you are referring to?
i see remains of an alu cap that blew up. only electrodes going through rubber seal and a blob of glue remain
I don’t see that at all. the black cylinder that the terminals are sprouting from looks undamaged to me. And the white blob looks like adhesive, not the insides if a blown cap.

Were there wires connected to those two terminals?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
It looks like an explosive electro launch to me. All the trash left behind looks like electrolytic cap innerds and the case is somewhere in orbit. Something has caused the cap to explode so that needs to be investigated. But a better focused picture would be a help. My old Android phone camera has a macro setting and that is good for this sort of thing.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I don’t see that at all. the black cylinder that the terminals are sprouting from looks undamaged to me. And the white blob looks like adhesive, not the insides if a blown cap.

Were there wires connected to those two terminals?
The fiber is the liftoff residue. The terminals were connected to foils inside the cap.
1713031307610.png
Typical cap launch.

Last edited:

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
in fact it is a good exercise to blow up some parts on purpose and experience first hand what the failure modes look like.

Last edited:

Williamsim

Joined Mar 22, 2024
Fixing a "Turtlebox" speaker and finding strange parts on the PCB can be tough. It seems like you've found some damaged capacitors. When capacitors burst, it's usually because they've been pushed too hard by voltage or heat, causing them to break.

In cases like this, you might see bits of the capacitor or liquid on the PCB. If you can't tell the capacitor's value because it's broken, try comparing it to similar ones nearby. They're often the same.

Also, when capacitors burst, it's important to figure out why. It could be a problem with the power supply, a surge in voltage, or a bad component causing too much current. Check the diodes and other parts in the power supply too.

If you replace the burst capacitors, try to use ones with the same value and voltage rating. If you're not sure, look at the speaker's manual or ask the manufacturer. You can also check online forums for help.

Remember, be safe when working with electronics to avoid shocks or more damage. If you're not sure, it's best to get help from a pro.

Good luck fixing your speaker!