NPN basics - why is it burning out!?

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Based on the TP's diagram, we have an NPN 700mA transistor and a 1W 3V LED (333mA max). That's all we need:
Not really sure how to take this. Sorry if I've offended you. As I alluded to, I'm struggling through this and trying to learn. I'm aware I have a problem otherwise I wouldn't be here.
Sorry, I wasn't finished..... Not offended, I just got pulled away, mid edit and it just after awhile saved it

1619646092020.png

I think something like this is a starting point. R2 allows for about 6mA on the base which means the BJT should pass about 300mA or so. I'm having a mental block today so I'm not certain this pushes it into saturation, which is what you would really want. R1 is a pull-down resistor, it's purpose is to ensure the transistor shuts off if SW1 is open.

outsidelimits

Joined Oct 28, 2020
Thanks for all the help on this. I think I have got my head around what is going on. A few more hours with a breadboard testing and seeing how things work won't do me any harm!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
@Audioguru again Thanks- As I stated, I was having a mental block yesterday. My goal was for 6mA on the base..... For some reason I suddenly was virtually unable to understand BJTs.... :: disconcerting ::
Some other fact, maybe the current marital status of Angelina Jolie must have knocked BJTs out of your full brain. You have to be careful about that kind of thing happening as you get... wiser... and your storage fills up.