Not sure how to connect 60 second timer using two 74163 chips.

joyrulez750

Joined Apr 21, 2021
Hi, I've been working on this circuit design for a while now, but I am having trouble getting the top 74163 chip used to count my tens place to work. I think my issue comes from me not knowing exactly where my P and T enablers are supposed to pull from. My bottom counter works counting from 0-9 and then resetting but, when I hit 9 nothing happens in my top counter. The counter is supposed to count from 00 to 59 and then rollover back to 00 while also having a dipswitch connected to manually hold the counter at 00. My current design is attached below:

Thank you!

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The information you need is in the datasheet.

Why are you using binary counters when decade would make implementing 0-59 easier?

joyrulez750

Joined Apr 21, 2021
Yes I am, once the bottom counter reaches 9 the top counter waits until the next clock to increment.
I believe I understand P and T.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you were asked to use flip-flops then that would be a reasonable request.
If you are allowed to use a 74163 ask your instructor why you are not allowed to use a 74160.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Page 3 of the instructions doesn't require the 2 counters to be clocked synchronously.

EDIT:
10secInstr.jpg

EDIT2: The "helpful hints" section seems to imply that the two counters do have the same clock and that you're to use P and T to control when the 10's counter increments. It can be done either way, so you decide and we can provide tips if you can't figure out how to do it.

Last edited: