Ni-Cd VS Lithium

Ljk2000

Joined Nov 20, 2016
I know the major differences between the two batteries. But I was reading how Li-ion batteries last for about 2-3 years, 5 tops and Ni-Cd can last up to 20 years (certain ones) when taken care of. I was wondering with Li-ion, since that is in my battery pack if it sits this website says it would last any longer than if you used it everyday. But don't they wear down fast when used heavily. There are days where I will drain my Li-ion battery 3 times for the whole week. And I was thinking of getting a Ni-cad since I use my little weed wacker so much in the summer. Mostly because I thought draining the li-ion so much was bad. But How long does a Ni-cad last when drain that same amount of times each day? Basically I am wondering how long A Li-ion and a Ni-Cd would last under heavy use compared to light use. Thanks!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Based on my experiences with high power battery operated tools.. A lithium battery has always performed the best for the longest time..
I've had numerous nicd/nimh battery packs last a year if that before being useless.. Even with battery charges designed to "discharge",etc... them..

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I know the major differences between the two batteries. But I was reading how Li-ion batteries last for about 2-3 years, 5 tops and Ni-Cd can last up to 20 years (certain ones) when taken care of. I was wondering with Li-ion, since that is in my battery pack if it sits this website says it would last any longer than if you used it everyday. But don't they wear down fast when used heavily. There are days where I will drain my Li-ion battery 3 times for the whole week. And I was thinking of getting a Ni-cad since I use my little weed wacker so much in the summer. Mostly because I thought draining the li-ion so much was bad. But How long does a Ni-cad last when drain that same amount of times each day? Basically I am wondering how long A Li-ion and a Ni-Cd would last under heavy use compared to light use. Thanks!
Ni-Cd has very low Ah capacity per cell size, Ni-Mh is about 3x as much but can't handle much current draw.

Cadmium is known as one of the "heavy metals" - its pretty much at the other end of the spectrum to lithium.

Ljk2000

Joined Nov 20, 2016
@mcgyvr how long would you say a li-ion battery last being discharged and charged about 2 times a day? I am wondering if they do last very long. And with my weed eater in the summer I do 2 batteries in a session. so ya...

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
@mcgyvr how long would you say a li-ion battery last being discharged and charged about 2 times a day? I am wondering if they do last very long. And with my weed eater in the summer I do 2 batteries in a session. so ya...
So I'm told; Lithium cells have a fairly fixed life expectancy whether you use them or not - so the more you used them; the more you get for your money.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
There are a number of factors in what battery gets used where.

Personally I have little good to say aobut lithium based batteries in power tools. They get to a certain point and just shut off then they won't recharge if the are too hot or two cold and most wont even work if they are too cold as well which all problems I have had too many times where I live and work.

Also the comparison of a a basic lithium battery set to the largely low grade crap Nicad and NiMH based batteries most cordless tool manufactures use is not a 1:1 fair ratio either. Theres a reason that they typically post the mAh or Ah capacity on a lithium battery and don't on most every Nicad or NiMh based battery any more. It because the majority of tool manufactures are now stuffing really low mAh rated cells (1000 - 1200 mAh) in their tools they once put 1800 - 2000+ mAh high quality cells in.

As for the NiCad Vs NiMh cell resistance issue that has long since been engineered out of them for cells intended to be used in high current draw/charge cycle applications. I for one now exclusively rebuild all of my cordless tool battery packs with high capacity high current use rated NiMH cells and I can say they are a substantial step up in run time and overla power compared to even a brand new stock NiCad battery pack despite costing about 2/3 or less the price to buy.

This is where I get my cells form for rebuild now and they are from what I have seen in personal use Tenergy is a good well built brand. http://www.all-battery.com/index.aspx:cool: