NFC Tags application and security

Yaroooo

Joined Mar 21, 2019
Hello,

I'm looking for Brand and Devices for my application. What I'm looking to realize is a TAG device and READER device that uses most safety system that I can actually find in commercial market.

TAG must be very hard near to impossible to copy. Where Reader must be impossible to fool or generate a "functional copy" TAG.

I don't have cost or dimension constrains, minimum transmission should be 7-10 cm. The TAG device will never be used with an Android device, but should be read by a custom board that "will do something" if valid TAG was read. So there can or cannot be internet connection.

I've searched something of NXP and MAXIM. Looking for advice or redirects to brand documentations.

Thanks for any help

Yaroooo

Joined Mar 21, 2019
About what I've found online. Probably because NFC is used for more sensitive applications like payment or ID cards so you can find more documentation about security.

Yaroooo

Joined Mar 21, 2019
About what I've found online. Probably because NFC is used for more sensitive applications like payment or ID cards so you can find more documentation about security.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You’ve selected a technology that is orthogonal to your requirements and might actually be a constraint that prevents a good implementation.

NFC is just a way of communicating. It is not inherently secure. NFC is secured using smart card techniques, and so NFC tags are not secure at all. Secure transaction over NFC requires crypto, and tags are dumb.

If you want to prevent forgery, you will have to use some variation of smart card technology. What you are calling “NFC” needs to revert to a requirement for contactless reading, if that’s actually required.

You will need to figure out if cost per device permits this.

Without crypto, your security requirements of no cloning or reading is not realistic.

Yaroooo

Joined Mar 21, 2019
It's a correct assumption about NFC it's just a protocol. Any kind of advice on smart and crypto tags with associated readers?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It's a correct assumption about NFC it's just a protocol. Any kind of advice on smart and crypto tags with associated readers?
You say, “tags” but that implies simple and very small unpowered devices. Crypto requires power, and so for non-contact operation, a battery.

How big can the “tag” be?