Make Your Own Luggage Tags?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Anyone ever make their own luggage tags?
I found out that some places that i have to go will require the luggage to have tags with name and address on them. I was thinking it would be cool to make a couple that way they would be very unique and couldnt be confused with anybody else's tags/luggage.

First thing came to mind was to glue two or more index cards back to back making a thick card that could be wire tied to the bag(s). That would seem a little crude though.

Any ideas?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Get clear vinyl covering. It use to be called Contact paper. Make your tags in any shape or size desired. Include your name and address. Cut a small piece of cardboard to reinforce the attachment point. Assemble with glue stick or glue.

Cut a piece of the vinyl covering large enough to cover your tags plus an extra 1/2” or so Place it face up with the protective covering removed. Then place your homemade tag on the adhesive side.

Cut a second piece of vinyl covering roughly the same size or larger. Peel the protective covering from one edge and adhere to the tag. Slowly remove the covering until the tag is covered on both sides.

Firmly press on your “tag sandwich” and rub to adhere everything together.

Then trim the edges with scissors or a hobby knife.

Cut a hole in the edge with the cardboard reinforcement. Attach to you luggage with zip ties.

Voila!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Laminate them with thick laminator sheets. If the tags are small enough, you can use the laminator pockets used for making badges.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Get clear vinyl covering. It use to be called Contact paper. Make your tags in any shape or size desired. Include your name and address. Cut a small piece of cardboard to reinforce the attachment point. Assemble with glue stick or glue.

Cut a piece of the vinyl covering large enough to cover your tags plus an extra 1/2” or so Place it face up with the protective covering removed. Then place your homemade tag on the adhesive side.

Cut a second piece of vinyl covering roughly the same size or larger. Peel the protective covering from one edge and adhere to the tag. Slowly remove the covering until the tag is covered on both sides.

Firmly press on your “tag sandwich” and rub to adhere everything together.

Then trim the edges with scissors or a hobby knife.

Cut a hole in the edge with the cardboard reinforcement. Attach to you luggage with zip ties.

Voila!
Hi,

Sounds like a good idea. I will call around to see if i can fond some of that stuff locally.
I used to have some too but not sure what i did with it now. Long time ago :)

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Laminate them with thick laminator sheets. If the tags are small enough, you can use the laminator pockets used for making badges.
Hi,

Oh that would be great, only problem is i dont have a laminator.
Havent priced them in a long time either maybe i'll look around just to see.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I used to laminate one or my business cards, hole punch it, and attach to bags. No personal information other than my name, just my work address, phone, and email to contact if lost by the airline.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Back in about 1969 there was an entirely mechanical machine on Darlington railway station which would emboss your desired text on a card in exchange for a coin dropped in its slot.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Oh that would be great, only problem is i dont have a laminator.
Havent priced them in a long time either maybe i'll look around just to see.
I think Harbor Freight used to have an inexpensive one that people hacked to do toner transfer. One option is to have Office Depot laminate them for you.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi,

Sounds like a good idea. I will call around to see if i can fond some of that stuff locally.
I used to have some too but not sure what i did with it now. Long time ago :)
Dollar Stores carry it. I’ve also bought it at Michael’s. Hobby Lobby probably carries it too. I think WalMart does also.

My Dad was a schoolteacher and used this method to make game pieces for his classroom.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Thank again for the ideas.

Well, off to Los Angeles again wish me luck and some prayers would be nice.
Not sure when i will be back yet.