Newbie help with programmable manual set timer circuit

Cribey

Joined Jul 31, 2016
I am designing a pump timer with 4 separate settable trimpot timers;
  • 1 timer On for X seconds
  • 1 timer On for Y seconds
  • 1 timer On for A seconds
  • 1 timer On for B seconds
All timers are to power ON the same 12VDC (0.3A Max) pump for a separate amount of time. The setting of time I will change using a trimpot for each, from 0-20 seconds.

I also want to be able to adjust the speed of the motor using a trimpot as well.

I would also like a "purge" button to manually turn the pump ON, when the button is pressed and held. When I release the button the pump stops

I am having trouble deciding what the best approach is to this. I want it to be super simple and not use Arduino (or Pi or similar). I am thinking 555 timers, trimpots, resistors, a few relays and caps.

Can someone please let me know what they think is the best solution to this? Circuit diagram to follow?

I want to be able to purchase all the components and solder it together myself.

Thanks so much! Really looking forward to getting into this project :)

Cribey

Joined Jul 31, 2016
Ok, happy to buy off the shelf items to put together myself. (Not Arduino i.e. programming boards)

Cribey

Joined Jul 31, 2016
I don't think that does what you want, though it is not clear from the description. I think that turns on its output after a delay time.
How will these delays be triggered? Buttons marked X, Y, A, B...?
Hi @AlbertHall. THank you for your message reply.
I would like to press a switch/button (not hold it), and the time event (the pump on) is triggered until the timer stops until I press the switch/button again.
I agree, those look like delay circuits after a certain amount of time. Do you know what the circuits are called that are triggered by a switch/button press and then you can program (trimpot) how much time they are active for? 12VDC
I am thinking 4 of these timer circuits and a PWM and switch/buttons.
Thoughts? links?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014

Cribey

Joined Jul 31, 2016
Thank you @AlbertHall ! Good recommendations.

And how/to what do I connect the PWM? Parallel as well to the above circuits?

Thanks for your advice on this.
:)

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The PWM power input is connected to the 12V by the four relay contacts and the purge button in parallel so that if any relay is on or purge is pressed, the 12V is connected to the PWM.

Cribey

Joined Jul 31, 2016
Hi All,

I finally made the build but am having problem getting the motor pump to run.

I purchased:
I am using the DC power source that came with the pump (9V, 1A), and the LEDs and timers click on and go off, relays seem to be working, but I cannot get the pump to turn on.

When I connect the power source directly to the pump it does work.

I have tried all possible combinations with the outputs to the pump from the relay.

Any thoughts?

pump-controller-1.jpg

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
You do not have a power connection for the pump.
If you look at the picture in the timer ebay listing you will see how the pump power, the relay, and the pump (load in the picture) should be connected;