New to Electric Motors and Need Help!

WillSki27

Joined May 14, 2016
That is the item I mention in the last post.
It almost looks like a start relay that is picked up by B2?
Are you saying all leads show open circuit?
You could try it on an automotive battery first.
It should turn enough revs to test.
Also the plate shows a DC symbol for power?

Max.
I'm saying that all the black wires in the picture are not connected to anything, is that what you were asking?
Also how would I go about testing it on a battery...? Just use 1D1 for positive and 2D2 for negative (or opposite)?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Is there any way you can take the covers off the com etc and to enable tracing wires and see if possible the unknown device and also where the terminal connections end up?
If all the connections show O.C. then it most likely is not going to run.
In the absence of the manuf. help, this may be the only way.
Max.

WillSki27

Joined May 14, 2016
O.C. Open Circuit.
Max.
So I dug into it and this is what it looks like, from my understanding all wires are connected where they should be per the wiring diagram. The unknown component is still unknown... It seem to be just another winding but I really dont know. IMG_5511.JPG IMG_5513.JPG

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Very strange, it appears to be a compound motor, series and a parallel commutating field but usually the poles are in pairs?
It is hard to actually match the drawing to the photo, is it possible to draw out the different field connections of the motor, are you sure the motor shows open circuit across the three connections?
Max.

WillSki27

Joined May 14, 2016
Im sorry Im not following what you mean by open circuit, my understanding of an open circuit is simply an incomplete connection?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do you have a meter (DMM)?
I may be misunderstood you when you said all the ends were open, I took it there was no continuity across them but I suspect now you meant that they were unconnected?
It still might pay to trace the wires and coils out now you have it apart and the mystery item has been identified (sort of).
And draw a simple diagram of the different connections.
The extra field is energized via terminal B2, what this does is still a little unclear!
Once back together you could energize the other two connections with a automotive battery and see what results you get.
Max.

WillSki27

Joined May 14, 2016
Oh ok I gotcha now, what I meant by all the ends are open, I just meant the black wires coming out of the box were not connected to anything, I see your misunderstanding. I do have a really cheap DMM but it works. I thought I followed the wiring when I was looking at it but now I'm second guessing myself, I'll take another look when I get some time. I followed them as best I could and the mystery item spans from one of the brushes then out to B2. But the only other connection to that brush is the capacitor.... So it seems that the only way to energize that brush is to energize B2, I'm so confused! I'll have to test it out on a battery and see what happens

WillSki27

Joined May 14, 2016
From what I can see brush 1 is connected to both winding A through the blue wire and winding B through the orange wire. Brush 2 is connected to C through the yellow wire and the capacitor. Is that what you are seeing?IMG_5511.JPG