New guy, new question

Strip

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Hello everyone, I hate people who joins these forums only when they have a problem and only want free advice. But I kinda have to at this point because I am stumped. LOl

Here is my issue, I need to trigger a 12v relay with a vibration sensor. here is the one I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-SW-18...489?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258144d7b9

My problem is I can't get enough voltage through the sensor to trigger the relay. I know that I am trying to use something beyond it's intended design, but as I am new to electronics I really don't know what the best route to go is.

If there is a vibration/shock sensor that will handle 12v < 3amp please suggest it. if not how about a relay that will trigger with about 1 volt, or any other suggestion would be very much appreciated.

I am not using any type of controller with this. I just simply need to activate a relay with shock and/or vibration.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
To trigger the relay when the switch is closed, you simply need a transistor to amplify the current. However, that would probably not do what you want. Please describe how you expect the relay to act. For example, you might want it to turn on and stay on once any vibration is detected. Or stay on for a specified period of time. Or you might want it to turn on and off continually if the sensor is shaken.

Bob

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Welcome strip, you will find AAC a friendly and helpful place, you might even find a laugh from time to time.

Meanwhile Bob has given an excellent response; we really do need more information to help effectively.

:)

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hello everyone, I hate people who joins these forums only when they have a problem and only want free advice.
Let's see how long you hang around :D

Here is my issue, I need to trigger a 12v relay with a vibration sensor. here is the one I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-SW-18...489?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258144d7b9
This is typically what we call a shock sensor thingy.
It can handle 5mA at a voltage 12VDC maximum.
More like a simple push button switch capacity.

This will act as a closed switch when you shake it.

My problem is I can't get enough voltage through the sensor to trigger the relay. I know that I am trying to use something beyond it's intended design, but as I am new to electronics I really don't know what the best route to go is.
It cannot trigger a relay cause relay needs more current depending on the type of relay.
If you have a relay we would need to know it's specification.

If there is a vibration/shock sensor that will handle 12v < 3amp please suggest it. if not how about a relay that will trigger with about 1 volt, or any other suggestion would be very much appreciated.

I am not using any type of controller with this. I just simply need to activate a relay with shock and/or vibration.
U can use the shock sensor as an input to a circuit which in turns drive the relay which ofcourse can handle any load u desire depending upon the relay.

As a member asked before.!
Do you need the relay to trigger and hold when the sensor picks up a vibration or just turn on when there is a vibration and off when vibration is gone.

The circuit is used to sense the vibrator input and it also determines how the relay is activated and how long if desired.
It all depends on what you want it do. :)

Strip

Joined Feb 19, 2014
First off, the laugh may come when you realize the way my electrical thinking works.

I do have a relay, I will get some more info on that tonight when I get home.

I connected a jumper from switched side of the relay back to the coil so that it will latch once input is received from the vibration switch and remain energized until the circuit is broken via a limit switch. basically, I am trying to run power to the coil through the vibration switch. once vibration activates the switch, I need the relay to remain closed until the circuit is broken. so how do I get enough "power" from the vibration switch to energize the relay coil? Transistors are really out of my know how. I wouldn't think simply putting a transistor inline between the vibration switch and the coil would amplify the "power" through the switch enough to make the coil. As a gunsmith, I often say "some people shouldn't own a screwdriver" My guess is you guys say the same things about people with soldering irons...Well, I'm that guy! Haha! but I will try to not cause too much damage. LOL!

In a nut shell, this project consists of needing to actuate a door lock actuator when a vibration is detected, then after a specified amount of time, the actuator will reverse and return to the ready position to await the next vibration. I have everything working except a reliable way to trigger the cycle, ie vibration switch.

Strip

Joined Feb 19, 2014

Here is the relay I purchased. If its not what I need, please say so.
Model :HHC68B-2Z(Reference HH52P/MY2NJ)
Contact Capacity:5A AC240V/DC28V
Contact resistance:≤100m Ohm
Contact material:silver alloy
Coil Voltage DC12V
Pins: 8 Pin
Pick-up time:≤15ms
Drop-out time:≤10ms
Electrical Life:≥100000times
Mechanical Life:≥10000000times
Operating Temperature:-25 - +55℃

Last edited by a moderator:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The green smiley means, "DC".
Sorry I can't do this up correctly right now. Just got off a 36 hour shift and can barely find a chair with my butt.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
In a nut shell, this project consists of needing to actuate a door lock actuator when a vibration is detected, then after a specified amount of time, the actuator will reverse and return to the ready position to await the next vibration. I have everything working except a reliable way to trigger the cycle, ie vibration switch.
Welcome Strip!

One more question.
What is the "specified amount of time", or would you maybe like it to be adjustable?

adamclark

Joined Oct 4, 2013
have you considered automotive alarm shock sensors.. they are adjustable and can easily handle the power and current. they are adjustable to be very sensitive to vibrations(loud vehicles can trigger them) and are very cheap to obtain.

Strip

Joined Feb 19, 2014

Strip

Joined Feb 19, 2014
have you considered automotive alarm shock sensors.. they are adjustable and can easily handle the power and current. they are adjustable to be very sensitive to vibrations(loud vehicles can trigger them) and are very cheap to obtain.

Yeah, I sorta thought that was what I purchased, But it seems that what I purchased requires a few more parts to work. I looked at some other shock sensors, but they all seem to feed a signal to a master unit. If you have an Idea on a sensor that will work, point me to it. or just tell me how to make the one I have trigger a relay coil. or advise me on a relay that will trigger with a very low voltage.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
You would need a Power supply.
Say 12VDC around 500mA or so. A wall wart will be suitable.
I dunno if the sensor can handle more voltage. I am saying this cause wall warts tend to output higher voltage at no load.
So a regulator will be suitable and it all depends on the power supply unit you have in mind.

The data does not state the relay coil current. Just the voltage. It seems that relay will take lot more current than PCB types.

So we would need to find out the relay energizing current.
If you can measure. You would need a ohm meter to measure the coil resistance.
Post the coil resistance. Then we can figure out the transistor suitable for you

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
This relay seems pretty popular and require a coil power of 0.9 watts DC for operation.

They specify power because the coil is rated for 12 - 24 volts.

So the current is 7.5 milliamps at 12 volts and 4 milliamps at 24, say 5 - 10 milliamps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-12VDC-5A...ultDomain_0&hash=item2a3673ba33#ht_2101wt_954

Riffa over to your transistor design skills.

OP please note you need a plug in base for this relay.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
This relay seems pretty popular and require a coil power of 0.9 watts DC for operation.

They specify power because the coil is rated for 12 - 24 volts.

So the current is 7.5 milliamps at 12 volts and 4 milliamps at 24, say 5 - 10 milliamps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-12VDC-5A...ultDomain_0&hash=item2a3673ba33#ht_2101wt_954
Are you sure about the current.? I figured that thing take a bit of juice.

Riffa over to your transistor design skills.

OP please note you need a plug in base for this relay.
It's Rifaa by the way :cool:. You are like loosie.

My design skills EH!.
Oh well ! it's up to me I guess.
Before that I need the info on the PSU OP uses.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Rifaa,

Yeah, the current seems low to me as well, but there it is in black and white.

By the way do you know a good spectacle supplier?:D