New cooling component

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
However I more believe to the future of diamond-based semiconductors. As the working temperature of polycristallic (yes yes, the mosfet has no inhered demand to be monocrystalline) diamond may be harshly over the 800 C, then heatflux may be proporcionally higher as nowadays FETs and igbt~s so the 10 000 A/cm2 are realistic, few MegaVolts per cm as V(R) and teraherces of F(T) if the sizes are small enough. That are megawatts of power what already has scientific real samples at many places. Even book was laid out on this topic.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think that one limitation they don't highlight in the article is the ∆T it can achieve. It can move heat, but I don't think it can get the cold side more than just a little below the hot side. So it could be great for moving the heat out of a chip or a battery that's above ambient and needs to be cooled off. But I don't think it could actually be a "refrigerator" to hold a temperature 20C° or more below ambient. Maybe I've misread things.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
And one more potential problem, Wayneh!
As more we are approaching the high power density kingdom, as more there not the power flux (Watts per se) is the limiting factor but instead the power flux density (Watts per cm2). About this I have ate the much salt in the Peltier connection, what has this problem very complicated if any may try to switch them be air-cooled. It is bad idea the air cooling, yet technically possible, using the heat-pipe technology, what allows to convert, say 200W/4cm2 to the 200W/2000cm2. First of both makes very curious effect if with `normal` radiator: the cold side at first became a snow-cold, then snow is melted after minute, after few minutes it becomes a boiling temperature and if not react properly, it becomes a raspberry red, the same as the hot end of cooler. And whole that radiator to what is was attached still stays maybe 20C above the air....
Thus, we don`t have an any idea do that new technology is good for high power density at all.