Never Complain About Soldering SMD's Again

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I agree, it is more a matter of desire rather than ability. I have switched to solderable breadboards and commercial PCB's for more "final" designs too.

Still, the workmanship is to be admired.

John

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Had a tech do that once for us. It was on a compatible processor with a different pin out from the previous one. As a matter of fact he did it twice.
Latter found out there was a code command that was different that we didn't know about until later so we couldn't get it to work at the time. By the time we found it the guy was gone. Probably a good thing as I'm sure he would have killed me.:D
He did it with 30awg wire wrap wire.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
At lease he's using the prototype wire where the insulation melts away when heated. It just looks like magnet wire where you have to mechanically strip the varnish.

While I admire the work I far prefer using adapter boards and ez to strip 30AWG wire wrap wire.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Run 6 wires down a single hole?:eek:
All the same color?
My eyes went past that stage a long time ago!

Seriously. One person asked me why I didn't make all my wires the same color and I answered, "I used 56 different color and stripe combinations, and you can't find ground. How lost would you be if they were all black?"

So this Japanese guy uses all copper colored?
I might have been able to handle that 30 years ago.:(

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
If one takes the time to learn the technique of soldering soic-sized components, it is easy. Especially since there are no holes to drill - a complete step avoided. I prefer soic.

On the other hand, saying Never Complain, on the basis that someone else has gone through worse is a weird concept. I'm still going to swear and yell if I hit my thumb with a hammer even though other have done it worse - see YouTube for examples.