Need to stop 4060 timer every time supply is applied

imani9009

Joined Nov 8, 2013
I have made a timer using 4060 and 4017 ICs. I have made a trigger circuit for activating the timer. But I do not want the timer to activate every time supply is applied. I want it to activate only when trigger is applied at the reset (pin 12)
Screenshot_20220905-152901_Firefox.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have made a trigger circuit for activating the timer. But I do not want the timer to activate every time supply is applied. I want it to activate only when trigger is applied at the reset (pin 12)
What is the nature of this trigger?

It would be helpful if you posted a proper schematic. Pin function should be where the pin numbers are currently positioned. Pin numbers are traditionally placed outside of the symbol. I find schematics easier to read if the component values are placed near the component designators. If you're using connection dots, you don't need the two wire breaks.

If you didn't draw it, I'd look for circuits from people who look like they know what they're doing.

imani9009

Joined Nov 8, 2013
What is the nature of this trigger?

It would be helpful if you posted a proper schematic. Pin function should be where the pin numbers are currently positioned. Pin numbers are traditionally placed outside of the symbol. I find schematics easier to read if the component values are placed near the component designators. If you're using connection dots, you don't need the two wire breaks.

If you didn't draw it, I'd look for circuits from people who look like they know what they're doing.
Screenshot_20220911-211131_Chrome.jpg

imani9009

Joined Nov 8, 2013
That still gives only a 50:50 chance. To avoid activating the output it has to start with Q14 high, which is random (altbough from experience it tends to start at zero, regardless)
How to do this, because it is need for second i think

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
See below.
I used an arbitrary oscillator frequency and supply voltage (12v) since it wasn't specified.
A CD4093B chip is used to make a SR flip flop. The SRFF "RST" holds the circuit in reset at power on.
When the start button is pressed, the SRFF toggles and CD4060 Oscillator begins to run.
Pressing the reset button, sets the circuit back into "reset" mode.
I didn't show any bypass caps but they will be needed across each chips supply pins.

EDIT: Added "inhibit" to hold relay energized until reset button is pressed.

1664992388073.png

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
So this is only supposed to let the CD4060 counter count after power on?

If that's the case, you don't need C2 in your original schematic, or the diodes in the timer circuit, you need to invert the timer output, and connected it to the reset pins of the other two IC's.

You should label pin function for those who haven't bothered memorizing 555 timer pinout.

imani9009

Joined Nov 8, 2013
So this is only supposed to let the CD4060 counter count after power on?

If that's the case, you don't need C2 in your original schematic, or the diodes in the timer circuit, you need to invert the timer output, and connected it to the reset pins of the other two IC's.

You should label pin function for those who haven't bothered memorizing 555 timer pinout.
CD4060 is supposed to count after trigger is applied, not for power on

imani9009

Joined Nov 8, 2013
See below.
I used an arbitrary oscillator frequency and supply voltage (12v) since it wasn't specified.
A CD4093B chip is used to make a SR flip flop. The SRFF "RST" holds the circuit in reset at power on.
When the start button is pressed, the SRFF toggles and CD4060 Oscillator begins to run.
Pressing the reset button, sets the circuit back into "reset" mode.
I didn't show any bypass caps but they will be needed across each chips supply pins.

EDIT: Added "inhibit" to hold relay energized until reset button is pressed.

View attachment 277731
Do you say that at start button trigger should be applied. Trigger circuit with 555 timer. I also have bc557 transistor instead of 547 because I do want to energize the relay for a specific time counted by the 4060 timer

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Do you say that at start button trigger should be applied.
Use the circuit as shown in post #9

Trigger circuit with 555 timer.
a 555 is not needed

I also have bc557 transistor instead of 547 because I do want to energize the relay for a specific time counted by the 4060 timer
This depends on the current drawn by the relay. What is relay part number?

imani9009

Joined Nov 8, 2013
Use the circuit as shown in post #9

a 555 is not needed

This depends on the current drawn by the relay. What is relay part number?
Jqx 15f (t90) 12 volt relay, actually i am using trigger because the trigger activates the timer. The trigger itself is powered on by Lm339 battery voltage monitor. I want the relay to power on when battery voltage is less than 24 and also when timer is counting.
CamScanner 10-06-2022 21.57.jpg

Attachments

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Jqx 15f (t90) 12 volt relay, actually i am using trigger because the trigger activates the timer. The trigger itself is powered on by Lm339 battery voltage monitor. I want the relay to power on when battery voltage is less than 24 and also when timer is counting.
View attachment 277814
Please be a little more clear with what you want to accomplish.
At what voltage below 24V should the battery monitor output detect?
Then you what the battery monitor output to trigger the 4060 timer circuit?

imani9009

Joined Nov 8, 2013
just below 24 volt will work, I have used a pot of 1k to change the LM339 output, I want to activate the timer to cut off heavy load from inverter when battery voltage is below 24 volt for a specific time i.e. 1 to 2 hrs.CamScanner 10-06-2022 23.33.jpg

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
just below 24 volt will work, I have used a pot of 1k to change the LM339 output, I want to activate the timer to cut off heavy load from inverter when battery voltage is below 24 volt for a specific time i.e. 1 to 2 hrs.View attachment 277830
ok.

so we’ll power the whole circuit using 12v from the dc-dc converter and monitor the 24v supply using the 339.

sound good?

if so I’ll modify circuit