Need to Make a Wireless Controller for a 12V Extendable Arm

jokerswilddjs

Joined Dec 4, 2019
Struggling to design a circuit. A person brought me a mechanical arm. The arm is 12v and will only extend or contract by reversing polarity. He wanted me to connect it to a wireless remote in order to press one button and the arm will extend and stop when he releases the button (or presses it a second time) and the reverse on another button. I have loads of parts available, but most of my wireless remotes are those RC outlets which are AC. Could anyone help me think of another way to do this? I do have a 12 v dpdt switch, but that is worst case scenario because it wouldn't be wireless.

jokerswilddjs

Joined Dec 4, 2019
There’s a ton of wireless remotes if you search for them. Several years ago, I bought a 4-channel remote where each button on the control operated a relay on the receiver.
To help you. I did a quick search and here are the results

You can power the remote control modules with batteries or match power supplies with an inexpensive switching module.
Thank you very much, I was hoping to complete the project with some of the items I had laying around. Possibly adapting a remote from something else. This is one of those projects for a "friend" that is incapable of paying, so I would really prefer not to invest more than my abilities. :) I really do appreciate your swift reply beings I am so new to this site though.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I can only tell you how I would go about it. As to extend and retract I would build or buy an H bridge and as to wireless I would just use one of these. Nice feature is get a relay card which allows momentary or latch on button press. You do not mention arm current or transition times? You also don't mention if the arm has limit switches. Depending on the current and relay card you can likely just get by with a relay card. Personally I would include an H Bridge with the relay board. Since I don't know what parts you have in your junk box I really can't suggest much else.

Ron