Need suggestions to move from Turkey to UK

umerrai1

Joined Mar 29, 2021
Hello Everone,
I am an electronics engineer with having master's degree and also have work experience of more than 6 years in the power electronics field. I need suggestions that I wanted to move to the UK as in Turkey we have a lot of working hours in a week. Moreover, the salary criteria are too low here. What you guys suggest?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have no first hand knowledge and I'm just an observer of the world situation so take what I say with a skeptical eye. I would start with the nearest British consulate. If you can safely contact them or make a visit,, it will be the best source of accurate and reliable information. One of the reasons advanced for Brexit was to regain control of the immigration process and not be forced to follow EU rules and guidelines on these matters. I think this fact alone will be a huge impediment in your quest.

umerrai1

Joined Mar 29, 2021
Hi Mr. Papabravo,
That is the pin point information you have given to me. I never have thought about it. Surely I will visit embassy soon.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I agree, the first move I would think is to contact the consulate for a immigration application, if this is what you are looking to do.
This is from someone that emigrated from UK to another country.
I would think UK is fairly close to saturation, firstly it was all the foreign nationals that took advantage of a British passport when the Empire dissolved into a commonwealth.
Then came Brexit, and the free flow with Europe.
Have you looked at Canada at all?

umerrai1

Joined Mar 29, 2021
I agree, the first move I would think is to contact the consulate for a immigration application, if this is what you are looking to do.
This is from someone that emigrated from UK to another country.
I would think UK is fairly close to saturation, firstly it was all the foreign nationals that took advantage of a British passport when the Empire dissolved into a commonwealth.
Have you looked at Canada at all?
Actually I like UK... that is why I am willing to move.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi Mr. Papabravo,
That is the pin point information you have given to me. I never have thought about it. Surely I will visit embassy soon.
Good luck and best wishes.
In case anybody asks, your are doing this to broaden your engineering background and experience -- Right?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I would think UK is fairly close to saturation,
No - there's a labour shortage at the moment, especially in engineering and IT.
Free movement from with Europe started with the Treaty of Maastricht in 1992 and ENDED with Brexit. Now, someone from Turkey is on the same terms as anyone from the EU.
Actually I like UK... that is why I am willing to move.
It's not such a bad old place. . . .

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Free movement from with Europe started with the Treaty of Maastricht in 1992 and ENDED with Brexit. Now, someone from Turkey is on the same terms as anyone from the EU.
As I recall the idea of treating all people who wanted to live and work in the UK equally was not a high priority for the Brexiteers. There were some groups that they wanted to specifically exclude, and they didn't want the EU to tell them they couldn't do that. I don't remember the precise details, but their meaning was pretty clear.
Disclaimer: I'm not from the UK and I wasn't there when it all went down so I could be full of fava beans.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
As I recall the idea of treating all people who wanted to live and work in the UK equally was not a high priority for the Brexiteers. There were some groups that they wanted to specifically exclude, and they didn't want the EU to tell them they couldn't do that. I don't remember the precise details, but their meaning was pretty clear.
Disclaimer: I'm not from the UK and I wasn't there when it all went down so I could be full of fava beans.
It's all fairly equal now, with a system not too dissimilar to the USA's.
Some of the most fervent Brexiteers didn't want any immigration. One of them, a certain Tim Martin, owner of the pub chain Wetherspoons, is now trying to recruit bar staff from abroad because too few of the British want to be bar staff/waiters at minimum wage, and he can't find enough staff for his pubs when they re-open after Coronavirus restrictions end.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It's all fairly equal now, with a system not too dissimilar to the USA's.
Some of the most fervent Brexiteers didn't want any immigration. One of them, a certain Tim Martin, owner of the pub chain Wetherspoons, is now trying to recruit bar staff from abroad because too few of the British want to be bar staff/waiters at minimum wage, and he can't find enough staff for his pubs when they re-open after Coronavirus restrictions end.
A prime example of "be careful what you wish for', you might end up hoist with your own petard.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Its coincidence with Coronavirus will probably mean that we shall never be able to tell whether it was an economic advantage or disadvantage.
But hey! Importing coffee from Rome suddenly got cheaper, because now I'm paying British VAT on it at 0% instead of Italian VAT at 21%