Need some help with Transformer/Contactor

onesquin

Joined Nov 18, 2022
Sorry, yes I did return it. The new arrived and here are the readings.

WHITE-BLACK(120VAC) 19.2 Ohms
WHITE-RED(208VAC) 50.1 Ohms
WHITE-ORANGE(240VAC) 62.1 Ohms

RED-GREEN(24VAC) 0.8 Ohms

USING the 120 Input I got 28.7 VAC on the red and green output.

I think I am ready to rewire the heater and hopefully get better results this time.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Sorry, yes I did return it. The new arrived and here are the readings.

WHITE-BLACK(120VAC) 19.2 Ohms
WHITE-RED(208VAC) 50.1 Ohms
WHITE-ORANGE(240VAC) 62.1 Ohms

RED-GREEN(24VAC) 0.8 Ohms

USING the 120 Input I got 28.7 VAC on the red and green output.

I think I am ready to rewire the heater and hopefully get better results this time.
That sounds more like it. While a defective transformer is rare it obviously happens. The 28 volt secondary voltage is about right considering there is no load. Looking at your contactor I believe the coil terminals are on the side. You have a handle on L1 & L2 being mains voltage and assuming a 220 ~240 VAC heater the heater side (load side) would be the T1 & T2 terminals. I will also assume there is a neutral involved which is not switched but required. Depends on your heater. Wife's clothes drier is 240 VAC but that is only for the heater elements. The motor is 120 VAC either L1 or L2 to neutral. I am sure your heater has instructions. Should you have any further questions just ask.

Maybe next year I will finally insulate and heat my garage. :)

Ron

onesquin

Joined Nov 18, 2022
That sounds more like it. While a defective transformer is rare it obviously happens. The 28 volt secondary voltage is about right considering there is no load. Looking at your contactor I believe the coil terminals are on the side. You have a handle on L1 & L2 being mains voltage and assuming a 220 ~240 VAC heater the heater side (load side) would be the T1 & T2 terminals. I will also assume there is a neutral involved which is not switched but required. Depends on your heater. Wife's clothes drier is 240 VAC but that is only for the heater elements. The motor is 120 VAC either L1 or L2 to neutral. I am sure your heater has instructions. Should you have any further questions just ask.

Maybe next year I will finally insulate and heat my garage. :)

Ron

Thanks... I hooked it up and it is running no problem. Yes, you must insulate and heat your garage. This project was around $140 including the heater. While technically this is for my garage I work from home and my garage is small(20x19) so we essentially turned it into our basement/bonus room lol.

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE HELP TROUBLESHOOTING MY ISSUE

Attachments