Need review of component - mil-sup high current rectifier (800A)

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
I needed a rectifier that could handle 400A and up to 15Vdc and they were pretty pricy. I came across this and am curious if it will do what I need.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MSC-Mil-Spec-High-Current-800A-100V-3-Tab-Rectifier-652-887-Cost-135-00-/230841648737?hash=item35bf3c0661:g:8BUAAOSwT6pVlsDt

After some digging I found this page linked to the part/rectifier
https://nationalstocknumber.info/part-number/6096952-1_010309477

here is info from that data page:
Technical Definition
Rectifier, Semiconductor Device, U, also referenced with federal logistics item name code 62108 - Two or more diode semiconductor devices designed to function as a unit in changing alternating current to direct current. the diode devices are internally connected in series, and are permanently cased, encapsulated, potted, or molded together to form an inseparable unit. these units may be designed as either half-wave or full-wave rectifiers and may be mounted to form either single phase or three phase bridges. for interconnected items arranged in stack(s), see rectifier, semiconductor device. for items fabricated in the form of a monolithic or thin film structure that perform the function of a circuit, see integrated circuit (as modified). excludes semiconductor devices, unitized; semiconductor device assembly; and rectifier network, unitized.
Technical Characteristics
Absolute Maximum Current Rating Per Characteristic (ALAY):
800.00 amperes peak forward surge current
Absolute Maximum Voltage Rating In Volts Per Characteristic (ALAW):
100.0 peak inverse voltage
Circuit Connection Style Designator (AJUR):
Center tap 1 phase
Mounting Method (AXGY):
Threaded hole
Operating Temp Range (AFGA):
-55.0/+200.0 deg celsius
Overall Height (ABKW):
0.750 inches nominal
Overall Length (ABHP):
1.500 inches nominal
Material (MATT):
Silicon
Overall Width (ABMK):
1.200 inches nominal
Terminal Type And Quantity (TTQY):
3 tab, solder lug

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
Well you telling us what you are doing and why would help a lot. :rolleyes:

I found a can of black paint this morning. Will it work for what I need it too? o_O
Rectify AC to DC . What else can a rectifier do? Am I missing something that rectifiers can do that I am unaware of?

So saying that I need to rectify voltage of up to 15V and up to 400A doesn't say the need? To me that says AC is going to be rectified to DC at pretty high current.

I've noticed a lot of other people posting questions very similar to mine and they don't have to explain their project details down to the minutia. Is there something different about my requirements

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Engineering is all about navigating a sea of details.

On the trivial surface, you could say that yes, an 800A, 100 V rectifier will work at 400A, 15V.
Based on the nature of your question, it seems fair to assume that you want confirmation that buying this expensive thing will indeed solve your problem?

To actually help you answer this question, one needs to really understand what you are trying to accomplish.
Telling us in detail what your goal is might save you major headache and expense.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Rectify AC to DC . What else can a rectifier do? Am I missing something that rectifiers can do that I am unaware of?

So saying that I need to rectify voltage of up to 15V and up to 400A doesn't say the need? To me that says AC is going to be rectified to DC at pretty high current.

I've noticed a lot of other people posting questions very similar to mine and they don't have to explain their project details down to the minutia. Is there something different about my requirements
What is the power source?
What is the load?
What is the source power frequency?
What degree of forward voltage drop can the system deal with?
How do you get rid of the heat?
Is the current flow stable or does it have a high peak level?
Is the load capacitive, resistive, inductive or dynamic?
What are the frequency and duration limits of high peak voltage and or current or harmonic transients from either the source or the load?

Would you like more or does this give you some idea why us knowing a bit about the source and the load is important choosing the right rectifier device for your application? o_O

So yes. Details down to the sub minuta are relevant being as of now you are barely touching on ball park level information.