Need recommendation on plug wire connector

Ed. M.

Joined Nov 8, 2017
Hi,

I have six 18 gauge wire pairs I'd like to connect to a plug so I can disconnect them when needed. Can someone please recommend some alternatives? The wires into the plug need to be straight. I would think something like a PC cable with M/F Molex connector would work, but I haven't found anything like that at Home Depot or Wal-Mart. I only need one plug to handle the six wires so I don't want to buy something that has 10 different plugs.

On a related note, what's the best way to connect two threaded wires so they run straight? Wire cap won't do. I've seen where you twist the pair together, then make them flat and use solder and a heat shrink wrap. Are there other options like a connector where you can insert both ends for a good connection? I've tried using butt connectors and crimp them, but sometimes the wires fall out over time.

Thanks for the time.
- Ed.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you want a plug/socket that stays retained then you could use the CPC style from TE Tyco, they have a threaded ring to hold them in place, you can get them at Digikey.
If the crimp connection fall out, most likely because you are not using a proper crimp tool?
Max.

You did not mention the current and voltage. The CPC (Circular Plastic Connector) is big, but a very good choice. It mates nicely.
You have to buy all of the parts separately and there is a "same-sex" and "rev-sex" versions. "rev-sex" would have say male pins in a female housing. You have to buy the pins, housing, and strain relief separately. The pins are available in solder or crimp. The Hozan p--707 is "low-cost". $75.00 crimp tool. There is an extraction tool that works extremely well for this connector as well. Pins are available tin, gold flash and solid and different wire sizes You have free-hanging and chassis versions.

There are some versions of the connector that has power and signal contacts. I forget the contact current ratings. The power contacts require yet another extraction tool. I THINK it's around 3 for signal and 30 A for power.

Extraction isn't finicky. It's just insert and push the plunger.

Without catalog pages, it can be quite intimidating to order the parts.

e,g, https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=182645-1

I've always used the gold plated pins.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The RJ45 connectors used for ethernet connections are the most difficult to use connectors that I have come across in 50 years. Even with the correct tools they are a pain, so I do not recommend them for any other application.
And certainly a bit more information about the application is required, such as current and what sort of signal or voltage is involved. Mains connections are far different from microphone connections.