Need Recommendation for Best Schematic/PCB software

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I installed it but every time I create or open a new project, I get this (app on C:\ Internal, but project on NAS over e/net):

upload_2019-10-19_14-11-11.png

I've looked online and tried all the registry adjustments without success... anybody else have/solve this? The 'IV-22' is a project I'm going to convert to KiCAD.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Max-

Thanks for that. I've uninstalled. I've found a few other issues. Having written commercial software professionally for a number of years with worldwide distribution of such, I'm finding some glaring issues with KiCAD that bother me as it doesn't come anywhere near the standard I consider 'distribution grade'.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Max-

, I'm finding some glaring issues with KiCAD that bother me as it doesn't come anywhere near the standard I consider 'distribution grade'.
Sorry to hear it, I came from an older version of Orcad ($3,500), and I found KiCad compared well, with not as not so many options available in Orcad version.
Max.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I'm testing a 30-day trial of DIPTrace. So far, it's fairly intuitive and they have little hints here and there for shortcuts that are useful so long as you pay attention and read them the first time they appear. Got my first schematic converted for a 3-touch lamp dimmer circuit (to fix some lamps I've been meaning to fix), and I'm going to test the PCB side of it next.

Only complaint at the moment, but I'm completely new so am probably missing something obvious, is that making connections in the schematic between components and lines is a little iffy. The ERC finds a bunch not connected, and I have to fiddle with them to get it to finally connect and put an indicator that the line is connected to the other line.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Only complaint at the moment, but I'm completely new so am probably missing something obvious, is that making connections in the schematic between components and lines is a little iffy. The ERC finds a bunch not connected, and I have to fiddle with them to get it to finally connect and put an indicator that the line is connected to the other line.
This is something that most packages do. What LOOKS connected to me and you can look UNCONNECTED to the program. The fix for most of them is to STAY ON THE GRID! For instance, in Eagle, device pins are kept on a 0.1" grid. When inserted onto a schematic, they retain that spacing, so that the schematic MUST ALSO maintain that 0.1" grid. If you STAY ON THE GRID, these problems don't occur. Eagle has a SHOW command that will highlight all portions of a net, both PINS and WIRES. Since it can be catastrophic to miss a connection, judicious use of this command is recommended.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The problem with unconnected "wires" may be related to the tool that is used. EAGLE has two tools available (highlighted):
1571743190653.png

Upper left tool "draws lines". It may not ensure an electrical connection. Lower right tool (electrical connection) ensures an electrical connection. Your program may differ, but I suspect it has something similar.

Edit: Using Eagle v.7.7.0. Newest version may be different or more clear on the distinction. I use the "draw line" tool for outlines and such that are not part of a net and the electrical connection tool for all electrical connections

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Only complaint at the moment, but I'm completely new so am probably missing something obvious, is that making connections in the schematic between components and lines is a little iffy
When your making connections, make sure the little square at the connection point changes color, that means you have a connection at that point. But like I said earlier, I'm using an older version, so it may have changed.

I'm testing a 30-day trial of DIPTrace.
It used to be free if you can live with the limit of 300(I think) pins. The full paid version has more. Again unless it's changed in a newer version.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I installed it but every time I create or open a new project, I get this (app on C:\ Internal, but project on NAS over e/net):

View attachment 188328

I've looked online and tried all the registry adjustments without success... anybody else have/solve this? The 'IV-22' is a project I'm going to convert to KiCAD.
Just an idea for a potential work around; instead of a drive letter, try mounting that location to a directory (I'm assuming you're using NTFS). It seems to be choking on something network share related so this might not work, but it's worth a quick shot.