Need help with wiring an ac motor

Nsjenner

Joined Sep 26, 2017
As the title states I'm just looking for help wiring up a single phase 115/230v cap start motor. I'll post a picture of the wiring diagram below off the name plate.

I'm wiring this motor up for cw rotation in 115v, connected all the leads to the appropriate terminal but I'm left with a yellow wire marked t4. There is no indication on the wiring diagram about lead t4 anywhere for either 115v or 230v. I've tried looking up the model number but can find nothing and I'm told that this is probably due to GE splitting off motor manufacturing after this motor was produced. The only slight indication of another lead in the wiring diagram is on the left diagram for 115v with thermal protection it says "ungrounded line" next to the ground terminal at the top, is this showing that the leftover wire ( yellow t4 ) should be grounded? Seems very vague to me so I thought I would ask the experts before going with trial and error.

IMG_1921.JPG

Nsjenner

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Lead continuity is as below

Red (j10) has continuity with black (t5)
Orange (t3) has continuity with yellow (t4)
White (t2) has continuity with post 1 and post 2
Post 1 has continuity with post 2
Post 3 has continuity with nothing
Post 4 has continuity with nothing

Last edited:

Nsjenner

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Yup motor was running before on 230v. Pulled the shroud off the cap and the red lead (j10) is connected to the capacitor.

Nsjenner

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Still stumped on this yellow wire, been reading up on stuff all afternoon with no luck so I thought I would just try a quick test with the wiring diagram on the left on the name plate. Wired it up on a switch and a 15 amp breaker and the motor definitely runs in this configuration. Only ran it for a few seconds but I've confirmed that the motor runs on 115v. Still want to find out about this yellow wire before I put this into service, going to be using this on a custom built 2"x72" belt grinder.

Hopefully the fact that the motor runs with the wiring diagram shown sheds some light for the experts on what the yellow wire is.