Need help with repairing a Yamaha HT Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Perhaps I missed it but can you describe the fault in detail and provide more pictures of both side of the boards (detailed). I guess the schematic is above so the forum members can use that.

Fastmerc

Joined Feb 20, 2015
The issue is when you power the unit up it only stays on for about 1 second, then powers off. The first time this happened years ago, I did the googley stuff and found several posts about it being a 5 volt issue and that part was the culprit. I ordered one a friend swapped it out and bingo everything worked for another year or so, then it happened again. I got busy it got put aside and now a couple years later I figured the same repair would work, but no glory. I will try and get some more pics tomorrow and post them. In the service manual its main(3)pcb. Although I guess the problem could be elsewhere now, unless I screwed up the new components somehow when I put them in.

Fastmerc

Joined Feb 20, 2015
I also entered the diagnostic menu as described in the service manual and got the DC PRT fault seen on page 18. Which says Cause: DC output of the power amplifier is abnormal. Supplementary information: The abnormal voltage is displayed in % based on 5V as 100%. Turning on the power without correcting the abnormality will cause the protection function to work 3 seconds later and the power supply will be shut off

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Can you get really good pictures of the power supply area (where the cord comes into the set) on booth sides of the board? Are there any swollen caps in this area. Any solder joints that look suspect?

gtro127

Joined Jan 19, 2016
I had a Z9 with same issue. Check for poor solder joints in main power supply around the transformer and large filter caps. Also check relay power turn on board for bad joints and make sure any screw terminals are tight to board if there are any)..

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@gtro127
Fastmerc has not logged in for ten months. He will probably not see your answer.
This is a beginners mistake to post to an old thread belonging to a person who is not active for a long time.
Many beginners have made this mistake, including me.:p

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I had a Z9 with same issue. Check for poor solder joints in main power supply around the transformer and large filter caps. Also check relay power turn on board for bad joints and make sure any screw terminals are tight to board if there are any)..
When you reply to an old thread, all the Participants will get a alert, but they may not want to receive.
So, please don't reply to an old thread again.

Status
Not open for further replies.