Need help with led circuit

grognak

Joined Nov 2, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out what I need to complete a project I am working on. I am trying to run 9 of these Leds http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0059H5YUK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01 from a AA battery pack for a prop I am making. I will also be adding a toggle switch. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the resistors it comes with will work or if I will need other ones and If the system will be efficient enough to run for a little while. Im concerned that I will either burn up my leds or it will drain the batteries in 10 minutes. I know nothing about wiring leds and could really use some help designing an efficient wiring schematic so my prop will stay lit for a while. thank you everyone.

grognak

Joined Nov 2, 2015
ok, :/ Im pretty lost here but I think 2 AA batteries would be 3v correct? I know the resistors are 1/4 watt but don't know the ohms. is there any way you would be able to let me know what resistors I would need based off of 2 AAs and 9 of those leds? should I use something besides AAs?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
They seem to be 100 ohm 2% (brown-black-black-black-red)
and the LEDs seem to be 2Vf
so (3V-2Vf)/100 = .01 Amps (or 10mA) which is perfect for long life..

So with 2 x AA batteries you need to make 9 strings of an LED and resistor in each string..

Like this.. note only 3 shown..LEDSERIES.PNG

grognak

Joined Nov 2, 2015
thank you very much! I am still a little confused as to how to wire them together to the power supply. (sorry, this is my first electrical project and its all foreign to me) also, would the resistor go be fore the led on the positive leg or after the led on the negative? thanks again for your help.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
thank you very much! I am still a little confused as to how to wire them together to the power supply. (sorry, this is my first electrical project and its all foreign to me) also, would the resistor go be fore the led on the positive leg or after the led on the negative? thanks again for your help.
I updated my post to show a schematic... and the resistor could be before OR after the LED.. it doesn't matter..

Think of the resistor as a "water valve"... It doesn't matter where it goes as it "sets the pace (sets the current)" for the whole garden hose.. The water (current) can only flow as fast as the valve allows it in the whole circuit.

grognak

Joined Nov 2, 2015
just refreshed and saw the diagram you made. thank you so much! I think I can figure that out :) youre the best

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out what I need to complete a project I am working on. I am trying to run 9 of these Leds http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0059H5YUK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01 from a AA battery pack for a prop I am making. I will also be adding a toggle switch. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the resistors it comes with will work or if I will need other ones and If the system will be efficient enough to run for a little while. Im concerned that I will either burn up my leds or it will drain the batteries in 10 minutes. I know nothing about wiring leds and could really use some help designing an efficient wiring schematic so my prop will stay lit for a while. thank you everyone.
This might help:-

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/30 LED Projects/30 LED Projects.html