Need help with hooking up a LED light.

Texas Dave

Joined Feb 24, 2009
First of all hello. I'm Dave and have been scouring the internet trying to figure out how to solve a little problem I have. Any help would be appreciated.

All I'm trying to do is hook up a $7 Dorcey LED lantern that runs off of 4 AA batteries to a 6 volt rechargeable battery. The 6 volt battery is the larger rectangular battery with the two spring looking contacts on top of it.

I want to just solder in a wire from my 6 volt to the battery compartment of the lantern, but not sure if I need a resistor or something else to knock down the power flow.

I'm not an electrician or an electronics savvy fella, just need help with one little project.

Just to let you know. I'm a hunter. I'm in the process of hunting pigs that come to my feeder right at dark and my goal is to mount this little lantern on the bottom of my feeder that is powered by a 6 volt battery and run a jumper off of the feeder battery to the LED lantern which I plan on mounting upside down to the bottom of the feeder. That way we can see the pigs when it's dark. Just figured I'd throw this information in so you know what I'm up to.

Any help would be appreciated.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
6 volts is 6 volts. You won't have to add a resistor. You might want to use quick disconnects on the leads to the battery - just watch polarity. LED's don't like to be hooked up backwards.

We have those critters up here, too. Love to see the numbers reduced.

Texas Dave

Joined Feb 24, 2009
So, pardon my ignorance, but when you have 4 AA 1.5 volt batteries hooked up together, you have 6 volts?

I know that must sound silly, but I'm not sure if you added the volts per battery like that or not.

beenthere, we're giving them heck, but you probably know as well as I do, these varmits are here to stay!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Maybe that was a jump on my part, but they usually get put together in series, which means the voltages add together for 6. If you have a meter, it's easy to check. If not, put one lead from the battery to the LED's and just touch the other. If the LED's look normal, you're good to go. You have a couple of seconds before the LED's fry, so there's time to look.

There is such a thing as shade tree electronics.

Save those tenderloins for barbecue.