Need help with fritzing diagram

ConnorG

Joined Nov 23, 2023
I'm wondering if someone can help me with this. My main question has to do with the red wire connecting the VIN to the servo power cord. Does this mean i have to solder them together? I am very new to Arduino and have no knowledge of this sort of thing so a detailed response would be appreciated. Thank you.image_2023-11-23_222514786.png

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Yes, all the RED wires are POWER + and connected together.

Fritzing diagrams are hell-on-earth, spreading confusion and chaos.
They promote a sloppy and ambiguous way of communicating an electronic circuit design.

(this is not meant to criticize YOU, but to illustrate that the confusion is not your fault)

ConnorG

Joined Nov 23, 2023

They promote a sloppy and ambiguous way of communicating an electronic circuit design.

(this is not meant to criticize YOU, but to illustrate that the confusion is not your fault)
Thank you very much. That complicates things, but I'm happy I actually know what I am doing now and wont mess this up. Again, Thank you.

ConnorG

Joined Nov 23, 2023

Also, if you do not mind do you know if the VIN wire connected to the Arduino and the servo power are connected to the same pin? or does it mean something else?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
you know if the VIN wire connected to the Arduino and the servo power are connected to the same pin?
Yes.

What a horrible color-coded wiring diagram. They could have at least used the same color for power so the colors could mean something. Yellow on white is a terrible color combination. They also could have used multiples of 90 degrees for the wires.

ConnorG

Joined Nov 23, 2023
Yes.

What a horrible color-coded wiring diagram. They could have at least used the same color for power so the colors could mean something. Yellow on white is a terrible color combination. They also could have used multiples of 90 degrees for the wires.
Ahhh. Thank you! I should have everything i need now, thank you both you have been a tremendous help.

ConnorG

Joined Nov 23, 2023
Yes.

Also, if you know how do you connect a wire to the VIN of the nano or is it showing that the servo power wire is going to the VIN? This whole diagram is very confusing and I don't think nanos work like that. A response would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
how do you connect a wire to the VIN of the nano or is it showing that the servo power wire is going to the VIN?
All of the reddish wires in the green circle/elipse are connected. How you do that is up to you.
1700865781722.png

The diagram shows 2 18650 batteries. I assume they're in series because Vin for nano needs to be 7-15V.

I don't know how much current those servos draw or if all of them will be switching at the same time.

The diagram shows two wires being put in the same hole. You can't actually do that. I'd stay away from diagrams that look like the creator didn't know what they were doing.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Plus, what is this circuit being used for? If the four servos are ever intended to be operated more than one at the same time (2,3 or all 4 simultaneously shower briefly), it is a horrendously unreliable circuit. The power for the nano and the power for the RC servos should be separate, joined at their grounds, and be filtered (a capacitor across its supply). PLUS if the servos control wire draw more current than a GPIO pin can supply, without a servo shield the Arduino will burn up.

ConnorG

Joined Nov 23, 2023
Plus, what is this circuit being used for? If the four servos are ever intended to be operated more than one at the same time (2,3 or all 4 simultaneously shower briefly), it is a horrendously unreliable circuit. The power for the nano and the power for the RC servos should be separate, joined at their grounds, and be filtered (a capacitor across its supply). PLUS if the servos control wire draw more current than a GPIO pin can supply, without a servo shield the Arduino will burn up.
It's gonna be used for a remote controlled hand, ill have to limit the servos to only have one active at a time. Again all of you have been a TEMENDOUS help. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to stick with this circuit as I lack the knowledge to create my own and am lacking in materials at the moment. Again, thank you for your help, hopefully I can return to this project in the future and improve it when I'm a bit more knowledgeable.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
It's gonna be used for a remote controlled hand, ill have to limit the servos to only have one active at a time. Again all of you have been a TEMENDOUS help. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to stick with this circuit as I lack the knowledge to create my own and am lacking in materials at the moment. Again, thank you for your help, hopefully I can return to this project in the future and improve it when I'm a bit more knowledgeable.
At a minimum, please consider using separate power supplies for the Nano and the servos. The servo power positive will only connect from the power source to the servos; not the Nano. The power positive for the Nano will go to Vin only. Grounds (power negatives) from both supplies will be connected.

ConnorG

Joined Nov 23, 2023
At a minimum, please consider using separate power supplies for the Nano and the servos. The servo power positive will only connect from the power source to the servos; not the Nano. The power positive for the Nano will go to Vin only. Grounds (power negatives) from both supplies will be connected.
Hmmm. Okay, I can do that. Can I use the power from my computer when it's connected via usb? Would that work?

ConnorG

Joined Nov 23, 2023
That would work for 5V and if it were wired to the 5V pin on the Nano.
Okay, so instead of VIN it would be 5v? Okay, its gonna take a bit of rearranging but it should hopefully keep this whole project from blowing up. I hope I don't mess this up, I'm not exactly experienced with creating circuits.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Okay, so instead of VIN it would be 5v? Okay, its gonna take a bit of rearranging but it should hopefully keep this whole project from blowing up. I hope I don't mess this up, I'm not exactly experienced with creating circuits.
What’s the other device on your first fitting diagram in the upper left corner? Some type of wireless module?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Do you think it could pose a problem for the new circuit?
It shouldn't cause problems if you power the Nano from a separate 5V supply. If you powered the Nano from Vin, how much power the module drew from the 5V regulator on the Nano could be an issue.

ConnorG

Joined Nov 23, 2023
It shouldn't cause problems if you power the Nano from a separate 5V supply. If you powered the Nano from Vin, how much power the module drew from the 5V regulator on the Nano could be an issue.
Would you know what this new circuit would look like? Would you know what i would have to change?

ConnorG

Joined Nov 23, 2023
Wait, I think i know what you mean. So I need to not connect my 3.7v batteries to VIN and instead ONLY connect them to the servos? Am i right in saying that?