Need help with circuit to provide one shot function to briefly activate a solenoid

jerred

Joined Oct 17, 2014
Hi, I'm new here, and am looking for help with building a simple circuit that would turn on a 3V solenoid for about 1/2 second after a time delay of 6-8 seconds. It needs to be a one shot function (press a momentary contact button to start delay), then activate the solenoid for a half second. The circuit can be continuously powered, but the delay and activation of the solenoid only occurs when the button is pressed,
The purpose of the circuit is to use the solenoid to press a button to switch between two EL panels after a sound clip is played. Thank you.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You could do this with a 556 dual timer IC. Use one timer for the 7 second delay and the second timer for 0.5 seconds for the solenoid.

What is the load you are switching? Are you switching the EL power directly (something like 150V, 1000Hz), or the supply to the EL inverter (DC or mains AC)?

I think by solenoid you meant "relay"? There may be other switch options such as solid-state relay.

jerred

Joined Oct 17, 2014
You could do this with a 556 dual timer IC. Use one timer for the 7 second delay and the second timer for 0.5 seconds for the solenoid.

What is the load you are switching? Are you switching the EL power directly (something like 150V, 1000Hz), or the supply to the EL inverter (DC or mains AC)?

I think by solenoid you meant "relay"? There may be other switch options such as solid-state relay.
The EL panels are powered separately, since they require 12V for the inverters, which is why I needed a way to trigger the switch with the solenoid (yes, a solenoid, not a relay) since it is inside an enclosure. I looked around the Internet and found a number of circuit diagrams, but could not find one that would trigger the solenoid directly, instead of using a relay to do so, which would require an additional circuit to turn the solenoid off after the 1/2 seconds needed to push the button that switches the two El Panels. One panel would stay on until the button is pushed, then it would turn off at the same time the other panel would turn on and stay on until the process was repeated.
I also need the circuit diagram with the component values, as I am not an expert (I can read a simple circuit diagram, and I can solder the components on a board, but I can't design a circuit, even a simple one).
I would like to attach a drawing of what I am trying to build, but I am not allowed to attach a file.
The EL panels are powered by 12V DC inverters, and the solenoid is 3V .08A DC. The button to switch between the two panels is an on-on push button switch, and the button to start the time delay would be a momentary push button switch.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
why a solenoid?
Why not a dual pole relay alternating/switching the 2 EL power supplies? or similar..
A solenoid pushing a button more than likely is not the best or even easiest solution..

jerred

Joined Oct 17, 2014
why a solenoid?
Why not a dual pole relay alternating/switching the 2 EL power supplies? or similar..
A solenoid pushing a button more than likely is not the best or even easiest solution..
Thanks for replying. The EL panels and the time delay circuit need to be separate, as the inverters are 12V DC and the solenoid is 3V DC. I already have the solenoids and would rather not have to purchase additional parts since I have invested in other parts already that did not suit my needs. I drew a diagram of what I am trying to build, but am unable to attach it to this post.

jerred

Joined Oct 17, 2014
Thanks for replying. The EL panels and the time delay circuit need to be separate, as the inverters are 12V DC and the solenoid is 3V DC. I already have the solenoids and would rather not have to purchase additional parts since I have invested in other parts already that did not suit my needs. I drew a diagram of what I am trying to build, but am unable to attach it to this post.
I don't have the knowledge to design a circuit, so incorporating a DPDT relay into an existing circuit is beyond my skill set.