Need help with circuit diagram

noble

Joined Jun 4, 2007
Hi every one

am studying electronics and I want to make an electronic billboard displying using LEDs just by using counters, registers and flip flops.I need a working circuit diagram to connect my components.

thank you

noble

Joined Jun 4, 2007
Hi Papa Bravo,
thanks for responding. Am sorry for not putting all the details. I meant individual LEDs and they will be 150 of them (50 green, 50 red, 50 yellow)
bye for now

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
How will these 150 LEDs be arranged?
The reason I ask is that you will need to think about how you intend to generate characters on a grid of LEDs. I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think that counters, registers and flip-flops are going to be much help in this application.

Take a look at the following datsheet from Maxim
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX6954.pdf

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
we're still blind as to what you intend to display. what components do you intend to connect. pls provide some more info.:confused:

moz

noble

Joined Jun 4, 2007
Hi
I need them to display three letters (S O T).and the letters should light in sequence (one after the other i.e S....10seconds O.......10s T.....10s) so the sequence repeats its self.

I have attached a block diagram I drew up

Attachments

cutemanuel

Joined Jul 10, 2007
Hi Everyone,
i noticed that Noble have asked the same question i intended to. But the twister is that, is there any way i could save the information that is to be displayed in a flash drive so that instead of bringing down the billboard to edit, i can just do that on the flash and plug it back to run. Pls i need Ideas.

Best regards

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i think the same can be done with the help of micro controllers no simple changes in programming will change the display patterns.i havent worked with them others on this forum will be able to help.

Thanks for the response...i still need more information on how to build this Electronic Billboard. Probably a circuit diagram will be an added plus!!

Anyone could please assist!

Best regards

JohnnyD

Joined Aug 29, 2006
It sounds like you want your homework done for you. I apologise if I am wrong but it isn't very convincing when you just straight-up ask for a circuit diagram without putting forward any thoughts/ideas of your own.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
First, you should decide upon how you are going to represent your characters.

The least number of "dots" to represent the letters S, O, and T would be a 3x5 grid, like this:
ooo
ooo
ooo
ooo
ooo
Examples:
ooo
ooo
ooo
ooo
ooo

ooo
ooo
ooo
ooo
ooo

ooo
ooo
ooo
ooo
ooo
ooo

Typically, an alphanumeric display would represent characters in a 5x7 grid, but your stated requirements make that unnecessary.

So, you will need 15 LED's to display a single character.
For readability's sake, you will need to leave a blank column between characters; the blank row is another five.

Instead of using 50 red, 50 yellow, and 50 green LED's, consider using 50 red/green/yellow LED's, as this will simplify your wiring and mounting considerably, along with making interesting effects possible.

LED driver IC's: consider using ULN2803's. These are reasonably priced, TTL compatible, compact, and contain 8 Darlington pair NPN transistors. ULN2003's are similar, but contain 7 Darlingtons instead. ULN2x04's are CMOS compatible, but so are the ULN2x03's if you add a 6.8k resistor to each control input, whereas the ULN2x04's can't be (practically) used with TTL. You'll probably want to re-use these drivers for another project later. Keep flexibility in mind.

Shift registers: you'll need serial-in, parallel-out universal shift registers. One n-bit shift register will drive n LED's on one row, via the ULN2x03's.

I'm not trying to do this whole project for you; just giving you some ideas.