Need help with a voltage actuated switch

Ynot383

Joined Apr 23, 2019
Hello all, I would like to pick your brains about designing a voltage actuated switch .hear are the details: . automotive application so 12v dc and also 5v dc are available to power the circuit .i need a electronic switch that can sense when a 5v variable supply voltage drops to 3-3.5 v. Then will output a 12v. It doesn't have to latch as the output just triggers a latching relay. Ive been out of the electronics for 20 years an what i thought of and tried works on paper but not in actuality using a ka393 comparator, couple resistors and a pair if zener diodes. Any info to point me in the right direction or schematics would help . thanks

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Here is an 8 pin DIP that does that. 7665S CMOS Micropower Over/Under Voltage Detector Just use it for the brains and build around it and use it's alarm out to trigger a relay or transistor switch.

Ynot383

Joined Apr 23, 2019
Ok .pic of schmatic i used cant upload from my phone .i know im missing something simple. The aging memory has struck again. Ill look into the7665s chip when i can use my desktop. Thanks guys.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Is the 5 V supply regulated ?
If so put 3V on _ input on comp. using 2 Rs or a pot; Variable 5V to + input. Output via R to base of PNP transistor rated for relay.