Need help wiring train

G-POP

Joined May 24, 2015
I am building a train for my grandsons that they can ride on. I am having trouble getting my wiring to work. Attached is the schematic showing how to wire this up. A,B,C,D solenoids at the front are wire coiled around copper pipe. The middle are ford starter relays. the leaf switches are copper plates the rest on overlarge collars on a steel axle. the collars are off center and break with the plate as the axle rotates. I have wired this up multiple times but cannot get it to operate. This is all new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

G-POP

Joined May 24, 2015
First the system pops a breaker on the negative side before all the solenoids power up. Second when I use a volt meter I get about 12.5 volts on both sides of the starter solenoids.

G-POP

Joined May 24, 2015
I built the solenoids per plan, 3 plywood discs to separate into 2 coils. I then took them to a motor shop and they wound the wire on the pipe. How could I check the coils for a dead short?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Just a few questions... Can you get a schematic of the automotive relay, so we can understand the connections? Using the pictorial model does not document how they work, Secondly, where is your circuit breaker located on the diagram? Lastly, are the solenoids serving as the steam cylinders to provide motion? Have you considered using a geared motor to the wheels to drive the train?