Need help wiring a single phase motor

krofish

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Just received a single phase asynchronous motor with no wiring instructions. It is 110 volt with a start and run capacitor (already wired from motor). The rotation of the motor is not important. I am a novice to this type of wiring and simply need to know how to wire the hot, neutral and ground from a switch.
From the top left to the posts are labeled:
W2, U2, V2, U1, V1, W1

IMG_2215.JPG
IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2222.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you can identify the main winding which looks to me like it could be V1-V2, if so the power is connected to these two normally being the main winding there is no caps in series, the other two windings would be fed from one side of each capacitor.
M.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I also came to the conclusion, V1, V2, but I am too timid to say so because the people who depend on us deserve better than a guess...and that's all I have, a guess.

Of course, the green wire from the power cord goes to the metal case using any convenient screw.

krofish

Joined Nov 30, 2015
If you can identify the main winding which looks to me like it could be V1-V2, if so the power is connected to these two normally being the main winding there is no caps in series, the other two windings would be fed from one side of each capacitor.
M.
Thank you for your response. How can I identify the main winding?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You should have three windings, two will have a capacitor connected to one of its leads.
It may be easier to lift off all connections to check individual conductors.
As per #12, the ground goes to the frame of the motor.
Max.

krofish

Joined Nov 30, 2015
I would say the Yellow wires are the main winding, the top left terminal has a yellow and two brown cap wires, so that is Live, and the other yellow is Neutral. Red wires are run winding.
Is there a way that I can test the resistance between terminals to determine the main winding?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You should be able to detect three distinct an separate windings, the ones without a series cap is the main winding and the AC is connected across these.
Max.

krofish

Joined Nov 30, 2015
You should be able to detect three distinct an separate windings, the ones without a series cap is the main winding and the AC is connected across these.
Max.
I really appreciate the reply Max but I have no idea how to detect "three distinct windings". I am an electrical idiot and have never dealt with an electric motor. Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If mark or keep track of the connections and lift off each conductor you should be able to identify the three separate windings the pair with the lowest resistance is generally the run winding and this is the pair that the power would be applied to.
The rest are taken off these via the capacitors.
Max.

krofish

Joined Nov 30, 2015
If mark or keep track of the connections and lift off each conductor you should be able to identify the three separate windings the pair with the lowest resistance is generally the run winding and this is the pair that the power would be applied to.
The rest are taken off these via the capacitors.
Max.
the resistance was as follows:
Red to red (v1-v2) 1.5 ohms
Yellow to yellow (w1-w2) 11.1 ohms
Blue to blue (u1-u2) .7 ohms

So, line and neutral to u1 and u2 and polarity is unimportant?
Thanks again for your help!

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The two brass links are the mains terminals...

Centre Live, Right Neutral

the small blue wires are the capacitor run switch.