Need help wiring a Omron H3Y-2 for AC (2)

ufotink

Joined Jan 7, 2024
I have built a replacement timer for an Lectra San marine toilet system.
Component list:
H3Y 3 minute delay timer
12 volt 3 or 4 post 100+ amp starter type solenoid (continuance duty..gets hot)
12 volt 30 amp automotive relay (4 post)
one SPDT toggle switch
one momentary button switch
a fuse bank for 4 fuses or 4 separate fuse holders.
wire and connectors
The solenoid is importand in this application as when timer shuts off the activating auto relay then the system has no power until re triggered by triggering the solenoid again using the momentary switch to the solenoid directly.
The timer is powered on once the solenoid is triggered. The timer has activated the auto relay. The timer shuts off the power after 3 minutes to the relay and the auto relay shuts off power to solenoid. Whole system has power off until re triggered.
The SPDT toggle is for the mixing motor. In postion A it powers the motor independently while bowl is being cleared manually.
Once cleared move switch to position B then press the momentary switch and all motors and electrode will operate for 3 minutes and all units shut down until re triggered.
So...What connects where?
The negative wire solenoid ground to #86 on auto relay and #13 on timer.
The positive wire from solenoid out terminal to #1 and #14 on timer
The auto relay... #30 to #1 on timer. Also #85 to #9 on timer. Also #87 to solenoid "S" (trigger).
SPST switch. Common goes to mixing motor . A to always hot. B to solenoid out. Install fuses for motors and power out to timer #1
Momentary switch...you can figure it out.
Solenoids get hot. A 3 minute cycle should not be repeated until a cool down of a few minutes.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I saw where the original post was dropped into the original thread of this title. Then moved here but what does any of this have to do with Need help wiring a Omron H3Y-2 for AC (2)? Solenoids get hot would that be the problem? A link to the solenoid would be a good start as well as links to all the parts and a schematic to work from.

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have built a replacement timer for an Lectra San marine toilet system.
12 volt 3 or 4 post 100+ amp starter type solenoid (continuance duty..gets hot)
Solenoids get hot. A 3 minute cycle should not be repeated until a cool down of a few minutes.
These starter type solenoids are usually not built or intended for continuous duty.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, it appears that the N.O. push button latches in the control relay, which then powers both the big solenoid switch and the timer, and when the timer times out it releases the big solenoid relay.

ufotink

Joined Jan 7, 2024
Hey, not an engineer here. A sailor who knows there is a need for this device. The timers are hard to find for this marine sewage system application.
The concern about solenoid overheating... after a 3 minute cycle I can still place my hand on the solenoid metal. Hot yes but not plastic melt hot.
The original timers use a solenoid (image). It is basicly a mechanical timer to a solenoid operation.
Cole-Hersy marine solenoid recommend.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That style of solenoid contactor comes in two different kinds. The common kind is for controlling a starter motor, which might possibly run for 15 seconds if there were starting problems. There is a second version with a coil that is rated for continuous operation. There is also a ceramic bodied 24 volt version made for avionics operation. They sold for $65 back in 1968.

ufotink

Joined Jan 7, 2024
With slight modifications to this circuit it could be adapted to be triggered by various types of switches and turn off many types of equipment at a time span of your choice using different relays. Lights, alarms etc.
FYI