Need help switching a dual power supply op-amp for a single one.

Gear_Clinkz

Joined May 25, 2013
Hello and thank you in advance for your help.

I'm trying to make desktop USB microphone using a dynamic cardioid type mic and a small sound card. (The mics resistance is 650Ω)
I know that dynamic mics need a pre-amplifier and here comes my problem.
I took apart an old Sony Sound system and i found a small mic pre-amp module. This module uses a 5218A op-amp that requires a dual power supply but the problem is that i want to use the 5V that the USB provides thus eliminating the need for an external power source. After some searching I found that the LM358 does not require a dual power supply and works at 5V. I tried switching the two op-amps but I got nothing... The mic only picks up sound when i softly blow on it and even that its heavily distorted.
So I ask... Is there a way I can make this work? And if not, can somebody please post a circuit that will help me?

NOTE: I don't have the schematic of the board :/ I hope the pictures will help.. 20160817_181204.jpg 20160817_181225.jpg

This is the microphone I'm using20160817_181444.jpeg

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The 5218 is an improved version of the 358, and is pin compatible. A 358 should drop into a 5218 circuit and work, but with higher distortion. However, there is much more to converting a dual-power-supply circuit to a single-supply circuit than just changing the power supply. Since you have a single-sided pc board, you can trace all of the circuit connections and draw a schematic. With that, we can discuss what changes are necessary to convert it to single-supply operation.

ak

Gear_Clinkz

Joined May 25, 2013
The 5218 is an improved version of the 358, and is pin compatible. A 358 should drop into a 5218 circuit and work, but with higher distortion. However, there is much more to converting a dual-power-supply circuit to a single-supply circuit than just changing the power supply. Since you have a single-sided pc board, you can trace all of the circuit connections and draw a schematic. With that, we can discuss what changes are necessary to convert it to single-supply operation.

ak
Thank you for your answer.
I'll try to make the schematic right now. Should I also try and find the values of each resistor?

Gear_Clinkz

Joined May 25, 2013

ak
I think it's right. Hope it helps
^71D5046E02226D927F0B6C636A622001C8A10FC74220E91E76^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg