Need Help! Simple capacitor question..maybe

ldrewes

Joined May 31, 2013
Im fairly new to the electronics world and have a question on capacitors. I have searched the internet and have not found an answer. I have a parts list calling for specific voltages on capacitors. I know a lot of caps have the voltage printed on them but what about the ones that dont? For instance, i have a .22uf cap with a printed code "2A224J" does something in that code tell me the caps rated voltage?
I greatly appreciate any help! Thank You!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Im fairly new to the electronics world and have a question on capacitors. I have searched the internet and have not found an answer.
Uhm... have you tried using "2A224J" as your search term in Google?

Pretty strong (not definitive) indication that you have a 100V polyester, or perhaps mylar, capacitor.

I have a parts list calling for specific voltages on capacitors. I know a lot of caps have the voltage printed on them but what about the ones that dont? For instance, i have a .22uf cap with a printed code "2A224J" does something in that code tell me the caps rated voltage?
Possibly, but probably not. The 224 tells you the size (22*10^4pF) The meaning of the others is largely dependent on the specific manufacturer. It may tell you working voltage, it may tell you tempco, it may tell you tolerance, it may tell you type, it may tell you something else, it may tell you some subset of these.

There's far too much information to expect it to all be encoded on the part. Unfortunate, but true.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I can not tell the voltage from those markings.

The problem is that when you over volt a capacitor, they usually explode. Stick to hobby circuits with unknown voltage capacitors. 9 volt batteries and such as that. Nothing that would remove your face if it exploded.

ldrewes

Joined May 31, 2013
Uhm... have you tried using "2A224J" as your search term in Google?

Pretty strong (not definitive) indication that you have a 100V polyester, or perhaps mylar, capacitor.

Possibly, but probably not. The 224 tells you the size (22*10^4pF) The meaning of the others is largely dependent on the specific manufacturer. It may tell you working voltage, it may tell you tempco, it may tell you tolerance, it may tell you type, it may tell you something else, it may tell you some subset of these.

There's far too much information to expect it to all be encoded on the part. Unfortunate, but true.
Yes i did try googling that and i agree that it strongly points to 100v. I have others however that when typed in google the voltage is not apparent...you would think that for such an important aspect of a device it would be standard to list voltage on all caps instead of just some....:/
Thanks for the response btw :-D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes i did try googling that and i agree that it strongly points to 100v. I have others however that when typed in google the voltage is not apparent...you would think that for such an important aspect of a device it would be standard to list voltage on all caps instead of just some....:/
Thanks for the response btw :-D
You think not having the voltage is bad? Look at surface mount caps (like 0805-packaged ceramics). There's no markings on them at all. Period. None. Notta.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
You think not having the voltage is bad? Look at surface mount caps (like 0805-packaged ceramics). There's no markings on them at all. Period. None. Notta.
Maybe it is there. You just need an electron microscope to read it. :D