Need help powering LED

Dsteines

Joined Feb 24, 2020
so I took the LED strip out of my tv or to be more accurate 3 LED strips (6 bulbs each) I thought if I took a strip down to 4 I could hook it up to 12v power and it would light but I have gotten nothing, anyone willing to help me figure how to power these?

Attachments

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
You need a lot more info. These are not generic.
How many LEDs are on the strip, and what is the configuration?? (I note you say 6. Are they in series?)
You may need 14V or so to run them. 12V will be too low if there are 6 in series.

Does it include current limiting resistors?

It is not recommended to just hook it up to a power supply as it may not have on board current control. You stand a good chance of killing it.
LEDs are current operated devices, not voltage. There must be a means of controlling the current or else you can destroy them.
Can you post pictures of the other side of the strip please?

Last edited:

Dsteines

Joined Feb 24, 2020
You need a lot more info. These are not generic.
How many LEDs are on the strip, and what is the configuration?? (I note you say 6. Are they in series?)
You may need 14V or so to run them. 12V will be too low if there are 6 in series.

Does it include current limiting resistors?

It is not recommended to just hook it up to a power supply as it may not have on board current control. You stand a good chance of killing it.
LEDs are current operated devices, not voltage. There must be a means of controlling the current or else you can destroy them.
Can you post pictures of the other side of the strip please?
I would but they are stuck to metal rails, I could attempt to remove the strip but I’m worried I may damage them in attempt, I don’t believe they have any resistors at all as I think they would be on the top surface , it’s just the strip in the posted picture and then a thin metal rail under each strip, and they are in a series of 6 each strip but I imagine I could just cut 2 of them out and not need as much power, I don’t know very much about them I’m not highly electrically literate which is why I turned to this page, I built a PC and just had a junk TV with those LEDs inside, if it was somewhat possible to get them to run on 12v I was planning to install them into my pc. If you still want more pictures just let me know

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Do you have a power supply?
Maybe a 19V laptop one if nothing else.
Add a 1K series resistor to the +ve lead and then hook it up to the 19V, making sure the polarity is ok.
This will test the LEDs. Then you can measure the voltage across the LEDs and see what the power supply voltage needs to be greater than.
You may be able to try something like this..
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5x-MT36...hash=item364f0787dc:m:m_JWFbrQQaRjaRAuXofeJKw
Connect it to boost the PC's 12V to 20V, for example, then add a series resistor to limit the LED current to 20mA for a start.
If you need help to calculate the resistor, just give us a post.

so I took the LED strip out of my tv or to be more accurate 3 LED strips (6 bulbs each) I thought if I took a strip down to 4 I could hook it up to 12v power and it would light but I have gotten nothing, anyone willing to help me figure how to power these?
If you have a multimeter then check what voltage the tv was supplying at the connection points for the led and also the current, led striplights thats size can be anywhere from 6v all the way up to 48v though in the back of a tv they're most likely to be between 6 and 24v