Need help in solving this electromagnetics question

an17

Joined Mar 7, 2015
We have dielectric layer stack shown in the following. It contains 20 periods. Calculate the transmission and reflection coefficients. Plot them as a function of wavelength of the input E/M wave. Also identify where the maximum transmission occurs

Attachments

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Did you happen to see the forum on homework????? May want to ask for someone to move this thread. Have you made any attempt at this yourself? What have you done so far to figure it out? Show your work and I'm sure you will get some help.
I guess Yahoo answers and Chegg haven't helped either????

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
You need to explain your 'stack' a bit more fully.

The permeability and permitivity values you have shown all refer to free space so you appear to have 10 lengths of 1mm and 10 lengths of 0.5mm (or is is 20 and 20?) of free space stacked alternately.
So what is the difference and what happens at the boundaries?

Is this really a question about Brillouin zones?

an17

Joined Mar 7, 2015
Did you happen to see the forum on homework????? May want to ask for someone to move this thread. Have you made any attempt at this yourself? What have you done so far to figure it out? Show your work and I'm sure you will get some help.
I guess Yahoo answers and Chegg haven't helped either????
No Yahoo answers and Chegg haven't helped... This is an ABCD matrix. I know how to do it only for single interface and propagation... but not for this

an17

Joined Mar 7, 2015
You need to explain your 'stack' a bit more fully.

The permeability and permitivity values you have shown all refer to free space so you appear to have 10 lengths of 1mm and 10 lengths of 0.5mm (or is is 20 and 20?) of free space stacked alternately.
So what is the difference and what happens at the boundaries?

Is this really a question about Brillouin zones?
It is 10 lengths of 0.5mm and 10 lengths of 1mm. Period is 20. It deals with ABCD matrix