Need help implementing a time of day clock that will run on the Altera DE1 development board.

kyleMAC

Joined Dec 5, 2019
Specifications:
1. Two digit hours to be displayed on two seven segment displays. The hours are to be
displayed ranging from 01 to 12.
2. Two digit minutes to be displayed on two seven segment displays. The minutes are to be
displayed ranging from 00 to 59.
3. Seconds indicator to be displayed with an LED. The LED should be lit for ½ second and then
off for ½ second.
4. AM/PM indicator to be displayed with an LED. AM, LED = on; PM, LED = off.
5. Clock speed boost using one slide switch. When selected, will cause the count speed of the
clock to count fast enough that every count digit may be verified. Take care to not select a
speed that is too fast such that the minutes digits are unreadable.
Use the 24 MHz signal from the Altera board as a source frequency.

The most similar thread I could find to this is attached. If anyone has done this or can send me a design or help me out id appreciate it.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The most similar thread I could find to this is attached. If anyone has done this or can send me a design or help me out id appreciate it.
Your post is in the Homework Help section. We give guidance, but we don't do homework.

Since you need to use that development board, it seems like this is mostly a programming exercise.

kyleMAC

Joined Dec 5, 2019
Your post is in the Homework Help section. We give guidance, but we don't do homework.

Since you need to use that development board, it seems like this is mostly a programming exercise.
Okay then what do you recommend I do?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Do you know what a decade counter is?
If not you need to go back and learn about those before tackling this project.
Next, do you know what a decoder is?
If not you need to go back and learn what that is before tackling this project.
Do you know how to make a periodic "clock" signal?
If not you need to go back and learn how to do that before tackling this project.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Your decoding is going to be done in software because you need to use the FPGA pins connected to the segments on the 7 segment displays:
1575582361114.png

1575582374060.png

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You're going to have a pair of decade counters that count seconds from 00 to 59
You're also going have a pair of decade counters that count hours from 00 to 23 (assuming military time) or 00 to 12 plus an AM/PM indicator
All that remains is to pick a clock cycle time and count enough of those to equal 1 minute

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
Use the 24 MHz signal from the Altera board as a source frequency.
one drawback of this is that you lose a lot of energy just getting it down to 65536Hz ← is where 74HCxx CD4000 start to use optimal power !
Simulated power consumption of a chain of gates in 65nm CMOS technology based on static CMOS gates

formula from 74HC04 and CD4049 datasheet
Pd~_74HC04.gifPd~_CD4049.gifuse https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterodyne or some low power RF frequency divider
or an autonomous "clock" signal generator