Need help getting Dell 1100W server PSU to run outside of the server.

ballsystemlord

Joined Nov 19, 2018
Hello,
I recently purchased 2 Dell 1100W server PSUs from ebay. I wanted to get them to run outside of a server to use them as power supplies for projects. I can return them if they don't work. Both are model: L1100A-S0 PS-2112-2D1-LF.
I'm following the tutorial located here, but I'm using aluminum pieces as conductive clips (see pictures) instead of soldering so I can return the PSUs if they don't work:
I also saw this pinout diagram here (it's a little more than 1/2 down the page): https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...lity-12Volt-100Amp-Power-Supply-Part1/page273
With -PS_ON connected to RETURN (fourth pin in to fourth pin in top to bottom), one of the PSUs doesn't have it's green light turn on or the fan spin up (I suspect it's dead). The other does have it's green light turn on, but it doesn't turn yellow like in the video. I waited 30s, the fellow in the video waited ~17s. It also doesn't have any power on the 2 big pins.
I tried also connecting pin 29 and 30 to RTN (large pin) using a pair of wires and my fingers but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas on how I can get either one of these to work or are they both DOA? (Dead On Arrival.)
Thanks

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...but I'm using aluminum pieces as conductive clips (see pictures) instead of soldering so I can return the PSUs if they don't work:
I understand the need but I'm not convinced you're getting a good connection. The photo is not clear. Something like a hook clip would be better.

1611344644907.png

ballsystemlord

Joined Nov 19, 2018
I have similar clips, but the hook part is too short to get to the pins.
I stuck my DMM onto the pins and I get 3.12v across them.
I decided to try by holding a piece of wire. That worked, 1 time. Do you think that there might be something inside of the PSU pulling it high rather quickly, or a resistance/current sensor, like what the Iphones do for their chargers?