Need Help Combustion Engine Labelling Parts

3dknowledge

Joined Feb 10, 2017
Hi,

I’m making a training tool/website to help people learn about engineering, but I’ve got a bit of a problem. I was working on 3D model of an engine and labelling parts etc. but there is one piece whose function I do not known (see below image).

I’ve asked around but no one I know seems to know what it is. The second below image is a close-up.
This is what I do know:

• Lit is belt driven so it turns (possibly centrifugal filter?).
• The pulley is small so it turns fast.
• There seems to be a connection to the lube oil sump.
• There are jubilee clips so it is easy to remove (which again points to some sort of filter).

So, does anyone know what it is? Item ‘2’ on the below image is for a lube oil filter (probably, informed guess), so why would they have a secondary filter on the suction side of the lube oil system (assuming that it is a filter and it is related to the lube oil system)?

The model can be found at the link below, it is interactive so you can zoom in to get a better look etc.

http://www.3d-knowledge.com/full-screen-four-stroke-combustion-engine.html

Any help is welcomed!!!

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi,

I’m making a training tool/website to help people learn about engineering, but I’ve got a bit of a problem. I was working on 3D model of an engine and labelling parts etc. but there is one piece whose function I do not known (see below image).

I’ve asked around but no one I know seems to know what it is. The second below image is a close-up.
This is what I do know:

• Lit is belt driven so it turns (possibly centrifugal filter?).
• The pulley is small so it turns fast.
• There seems to be a connection to the lube oil sump.
• There are jubilee clips so it is easy to remove (which again points to some sort of filter).

So, does anyone know what it is? Item ‘2’ on the below image is for a lube oil filter (probably, informed guess), so why would they have a secondary filter on the suction side of the lube oil system (assuming that it is a filter and it is related to the lube oil system)?

The model can be found at the link below, it is interactive so you can zoom in to get a better look etc.

http://www.3d-knowledge.com/full-screen-four-stroke-combustion-engine.html

Any help is welcomed!!!

Heavy electrical connections, turns much faster than engine RPM ... not the alternator?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Since almost all engine parts are brand/make specific, knowing what the motor is out of would go a long way toward getting the correct answer. Since it shows the water pump, it narrows things down to what is normally belt driven and not called out - alternator, power steering pump, and air conditioning compressor.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I don't know what that is. However, it would appear just in general to be belt driven on what looks like it could easily be a 10:1 ratio. If the engine is turning at 3,000 RPM the thing on the side should be spinning 30,000 RPM. And if the engine can rev at 6,000 RPM, whatever that thing is it must be able to withstand that kind of spinning.

My first thought (or guess) is that it looked like an early form of hybrid engine with electric assist. But as ShortBus says, without knowing more about the machine and the maker all we can do is guess at what it is. Unless one of us happens to recognize it. Hence the question: "Did you google it?"

You highlighted the bolts and the mounting strap. Any clues for you? And the pulley on the device - it could be a drive pulley or it could be a driven pulley. And I have no idea what's on the inside. There could be a planetary gear set that reduces the RPM when it's being spun by the gasoline engine.

It's all guesswork for most of us. Unless you happen across someone who KNOWS what it is. Someone said water pump? Doesn't look like that to me. Hydraulic pump? Again, I don't see any hose connections so I don't think it's a pump of any kind. EGRP? (exhaust gas return pump) I dunno. I still like to think of it as an electric assist motor.

Have you seen the size of the traction motors on railroad locomotives? And they have to spin up to some pretty impressive speeds. I guess depending on the design and purpose of the locomotive, a high gear reduction ratio means a strong pulling motor not capable of very high speed, whereas a low gear reduction ratio means a slower to accelerate locomotive that is capable of much higher speed. It's all in the gearing I guess.

Last edited: