Need help ABS and VSS sensor, 1zzfe Engine Swap in Carina

Razahaidersyed

Joined Mar 22, 2021
I have swapped 1zzfe engine in my Carina e 98, car has ABS sensors but the engine doesnot have a VSS sensor (3pin) its ecu can only read square wave signals ( 4 pulses/ rev of wheel) while ABS sensor is of reluctance type, i need help related to
1.. Make a converter circuit that can convert sine wave to square wave
2.. Then convert its high frequency to low frequency, i.e. ABS reads 48 pulses per revolution of wheel.
Please help me, i did all the engine swap and wiring myself and wanto design this circuit too.
The ecu shows only VSS code 500 error, and car does not engage 4th gear in ECT auto transmission ( the one with +/- and S)
Help please

Attachments

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... Probably some form of a Schmitt Trigger can perform the sine to square wave conversion.
Check to see that the ABS coax shield is connected to chassis ground.

Razahaidersyed

Joined Mar 22, 2021
Does the transmission have a VSS? That is where you would find a VSS, not the engine.
No the transmission does not have a VSS, the Differential doesnot have the proper gear for a vss. And thats a big job installing a vss in transmission. I have ABS sensors that can generate a signal... ( reluctance type)

Razahaidersyed

Joined Mar 22, 2021
... Probably some form of a Schmitt Trigger can perform the sine to square wave conversion.
Check to see that the ABS coax shield is connected to chassis ground.
Please help me regarding this schmitt trigger, also i need to reduce frequency. I got to make ABS reluctance type signal...look like a hall effect 0 to 5V type signal. Only then the ecu can read it

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
There is an integrated circuit that is designed to interface with the VR type reluctance sensor.:
Reluctance Sensor IC
This part seems to take care of the necessary signal conditioning.
It is not immediately clear as to the requirement for reducing the frequency of the square wave signal.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I have ABS sensors that can generate a signal... ( reluctance type)
If you have the tone wheel, the slotted ring for the ABS, then get a Hall type VSS sensor and make a mounting bracket to put the Hall in line with the tone wheel. And then run twisted wire to your ECM. Then you are using what is on the vehicle and don't need to electronically find a new signal from some thing else.

But just be aware that many VSS signals are a different count per mile than a ABS signal. I have done many, many engine swaps over the years, they were definitely easier before electronics got involved.