Need Advice with this 0-5v to 4-20mA converter

Integration Jordan C

Joined Mar 8, 2024
So we are trying to convert this 0-5v voltage into 4-20mA with one of these converters and I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Currently, I am using a loop simulator for testing (zeroing, spaning) and I cannot seem to get the span right so I think I am doing something wrong on my end. I can get the zero down pretty well 0v=4ma but that's the easy part anyway. When I turn my loop sim up to 5v I only get 9mA max out of the RIO AI. I have built the diagram for the field and I have built a diagram for the at-home loop simulator please tell me if am doing something wrong or if I need to get a different converter. The 4-20mA will be fed into a Remote I/O analog input card.

Device:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VTRVD75?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

First Photo is the field view. (Terminals 7-10 are 5v bridged) (11-16 are 0v bridged)
Second is the loop sim at home version 1
Third is the loop sim at home version 2

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi IJ,
Welcome to AAC.
What is the 4-20mA driving into, what is the termination resistance? Pins # 15 & #16 of the AutoD terminals
E

Update:
Looking over the AutoD product details, suggests the 4mA to 20mA, is terminated with a 500R load and so requires at least a >10V compliance voltage.
A 0v to +5V will have a maximum current of ~9mA to 10mA.

Last edited:

Integration Jordan C

Joined Mar 8, 2024
Hi IJ,
Welcome to AAC.
What is the 4-20mA driving into, what is the termination resistance? Pins # 15 & #16 of the AutoD terminals
E

Update: Looking over the AutoD product details, suggests the 4mA to 20mA, is terminated with a 500R load and so requires at least a >10V compliance voltage.
A 0v to +5V will have a maximum current of ~9mA to 10mA.
Thank you for the kind words. Here is the analog input module

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...i-z-o/stride_i-z-o/analog_i-z-o/sio-mb08ads-1

Integration Jordan C

Joined Mar 8, 2024
Thank you for the kind words. Here is the analog input module

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...i-z-o/stride_i-z-o/analog_i-z-o/sio-mb08ads-1
[/QUOTE
Hi IJ,
Welcome to AAC.
E

Update: Looking over the AutoD product details, suggests the 4mA to 20mA, is terminated with a 500R load and so requires at least a >10V compliance voltage.
Would you suggest a converter with a higher voltage being supplied? Or just a recommendation in general for a different brand for this application?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
@Integration Jordan C Hi,
My concern is when using the proposed 10v module is that when he used a 5V module he had a maximum current of 9mA,
So a 10v module would give a maximum current of ~18mA.

The documentation for the AutoD module seems to use a 12v signal level as a standard.

I consider that he requires a 12v module to give the full 20mA.

E

Last edited:

Integration Jordan C

Joined Mar 8, 2024
Hi,
My concern is when using the proposed 10v module is that when he used a 5V module he had a maximum current of 9mA,
So a 10v module would give a maximum current of ~18mA.

The documentation for the AutoD module seems to use a 12v signal level as a standard.

I consider that he requires a 12v module to give the full 20mA.

E
Thank you for the explanation I need to review my Ohms laws in the future. Thank you for helping me understand. I picked up a 0-5v converter to 4-20mA with a 12-24v power supply.