Need advice on some cameras for a project.

BlackCow

Joined May 11, 2009
So I need to take some still shot photos and send them via USB (probably using a PIC micro) to a PC on command. How might I go about doing this?

I was thinking one option is to hack some digital cameras but I wasn't sure how to interface them to my MCU. Maybe interfacing with its digital card slot somehow?

Does anyone know of any camera options that were more stand-alone specifically to be used in circuits (some sort of module?). It would have to have decent resolution.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
how far are you transmitting?

Canon, and I'm sure others, have offered remote operating software for many of thier cameras, via the USB connection. Depending on the camera model, it can be shuttered, zoomed, preview capture or fulll image downloads.

BlackCow

Joined May 11, 2009
how far are you transmitting?

Canon, and I'm sure others, have offered remote operating software for many of thier cameras, via the USB connection. Depending on the camera model, it can be shuttered, zoomed, preview capture or fulll image downloads.
I feel like I would have to reverse engineer the drivers in order to make it work for my purposes, it needs to be automated (not an end user program). But it's something I'll look into.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
When you say decent resolution what sort of figures are you thinking about?

My first thought would have been a decent webcam. Most of the drivers/software that comes with these have still and video capture capabilities.