Need advice on decibel meter

gwfami

Joined Jan 18, 2018
I'm in a situation where I need an accurate low cost decibel meter, not an app. I've taken a look on the net and see the range from $15 to several thousand and I'm not sure which one to purchase (under $60).

I'll be using it to measure environmental sounds both inside and outside, as we have a concert venue right next to our property. Ideally it will have max/min holds, averages, no auto shutoff (or at least one that can be overridden) and can log the data for later uploading.

Googling "decibel meter reviews" helped some, but as I have never used one (other than an app), I would appreciate some professional advice from people who aren't trying to sell me their product.

Google "sound level meter" not "decibel meter". You will have a challenge to find one that does all you want for $40. Take a look at this one for example.

Decide how much accuracy and reliability that you need for your purpose.

Think about how you can calibrate and/or check the calibration of whatever you buy.

That's my US$ 0.02, hope it helps.

gwfami

Joined Jan 18, 2018
Thanks, I'll check out sound level meter instead. I like this one, but with my income, I'll need more than your US$ 0.02 to afford it. :)

Google "sound level meter" not "decibel meter". You will have a challenge to find one that does all you want for $40. Take a look at this one for example.

Decide how much accuracy and reliability that you need for your purpose.

Think about how you can calibrate and/or check the calibration of whatever you buy.

That's my US$ 0.02, hope it helps.

gwfami

Joined Jan 18, 2018
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I need one before the 1-2 month transit time that the chinese shipped items take. Anything closer or does anyone have one they may be willing to part with?

Nykolas

Joined Aug 27, 2013
The BAFX dB meter is quite like mine. The major differences are that it is blue and has a PWM out, mine is blah-beige and has a Micro SD slot. The frequency response of 31.5 to 8.5 kHz is a standard C-weighted (flat response) curve and an A-weighted (speech) curve has a weighting filter, as set out by the ASA (American Standards Association). E