Need advice for <2amp waterproof connectors.

Insect

Joined Mar 23, 2024
Hi,

I am bringing a product to fruition, and am not finding what I want for a certain connector application:
1. Splashproof, even when unplugged (or we use an appropriate cap)
2. Only needs a 2A rating
3. Relatively small form factor, i.e. Deutsche DTM series are a little bit big for me.
4. Priced below M12 type connectors, each connection, M and F should be $5 or less.

What I consistently find are systems which do not have panel mounting options, are rated for over 8 amps, and consequently large, or pricey. The Metri-pack 150 series seems to be close for me, how do they panel mount in a splashproof manner? I prefer not to just CNC a panel and epoxy in place, I would rather see a flange on the receptacle.

Thanks!
Eric

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Have you looked at Weather Pack connectors? You may have to make a plug to seal an open connector. These connectors are often used in automotive wiring. However, they are similar to the Metri-pack.
Maybe look for IP67 circular ("aviation" connectors). Many have a screw on cap to protect a flange mounted receptacle.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Have you looked at Weather Pack connectors? You may have to make a plug to seal an open connector. These connectors are often used in automotive wiring. However, they are similar to the Metri-pack.
Maybe look for IP67 circular ("aviation" connectors). Many have a screw on cap to protect a flange mounted receptacle.
The M12 type connector types are "aviation" type connectors.
https://www.ultralibrarian.com/2020/12/10/m12-connector-pinout-understanding-interconnect-needs-ulc

They should work fine (I've used the similar Hirose H10 for many applications) but I think cost for quality connectors is the OP main issue.
https://www.hirose.com/en/product/d...menttype=Catalog&lang=en&documentid=D49400_en
Quality doesn't come cheap these days.

Insect

Joined Mar 23, 2024
The M12 type connector types are "aviation" type connectors.
https://www.ultralibrarian.com/2020/12/10/m12-connector-pinout-understanding-interconnect-needs-ulc

They should work fine (I've used the similar Hirose H10 for many applications) but I think cost for quality connectors is the OP main issue.
https://www.hirose.com/en/product/d...menttype=Catalog&lang=en&documentid=D49400_en
Quality doesn't come cheap these days.
Thanks for the response.

The Hirose H10 line seems to be about $6 per side from Mouser. That is a bit above the price limit, but new to me, similar to M8 M12, etc.. Once cool thing about any round connector, is the flange region can only be about 1mm extra diameter, and it's own concentric nut can seal to the panel. So I really like round connectors. Other shapes require big flanges, like thisDT04-2P-L012.jpg

The very large flanges end up making small enclosures bigger.

In one CNC machine I designed last year I did the following:20240406_154747 (1).jpg

Using Deutsche DT and DTM connectors as panel mount with epoxy this works very well, but takes a little finess to bond it place straight.

But, for production, I prefer to not epoxy to milled out panels, and I prefer not to solder.
Have you looked at Weather Pack connectors?
I am looking into weatherpack's ability to at least epoxy in place for now, they offer the right price and splashproofness.

Application: CNC milling coolant spray systems. The cabinets can be sprayed occasionally and lightly, and they can be humid from prior operation. The water is typically distilled, so that helps a little. While my system does not splash coolant at itself, the machines they run in, will have this going on.

Thanks! I'll update with some tests soon. The goal centers on getting it cheap, fast, reliable for production.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Cheap, fast, reliable (“Good, Fast, Cheap”) in engineering is the golden unicorn. Usually you are lucky if you can get even one. Choose wisely.
1712434843171.png

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
I've also used SD13 plastic connectors (from Ebay). They claim IP67, but being plastic they don't seem as strong as others. They do come with screw on caps to cover the connector. Search Ebay for "sd13 connector". They can carry 5A in most configurations with multiple pins.
SD20 is a larger size....
Another option is WS16 connectors