Need advice deciding on beginners Oscilloscope

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
That i7 CPU is 11 years old. It would struggle a lot now. I have my 5800x system that would run any USB scope no problemo but they cost way too much and end up being less mobile than a bench scope. Then there is that tax we pay on those which would put the 100MHz well over £1000.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
That i7 CPU is 11 years old. It would struggle a lot now. I have my 5800x system that would run any USB scope no problemo but they cost way too much and end up being less mobile than a bench scope. Then there is that tax we pay on those which would put the 100MHz well over £1000.
I have an I7 I bought three years ago. Seems to still be working fine, running Windows 10? I use it with 3000 series picoscope 200Mhz BW, 1Gs/s 4 Channels with Function Generator and ARB built in. It seems fairly fast to me.

The slowest thing for me is my internet connection. Live in the middle of no mans land, have to use Satellite, wow is that slow.

1633811982248.png

I will probably be purchasing a new PC in the next year or so.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
Got me curious, what is your tax rate over there? I'm in the US.

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
I have an I7 I bought three years ago. Seems to still be working fine, running Windows 10? I use it with 3000 series picoscope 200Mhz BW, 1Gs/s 4 Channels with Function Generator and ARB built in. It seems fairly fast to me.

The slowest thing for me is my internet connection. Live in the middle of no mans land, have to use Satellite, wow is that slow.

View attachment 249900

I will probably be purchasing a new PC in the next year or so.

Your machine's great till at least this new architecture from intel has matured. Yours is a massive step over that Sandybridge i7, the 2600 would still work ok but not so great at MT workloads. It would be the bottleneck. Our internet is gradually getting better over here but still limited access to fibre. Sorry to hear you're on satellite, that must be frustrating at times. Starlink should be an option soon hopefully.

Got me curious, what is your tax rate over there? I'm in the US.
20% on pretty much everything we buy (VAT) and import tax on anything we get from outside the EEC. Electronics are always cheaper over there in the US. :(

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
Your machine's great till at least this new architecture from intel has matured. Yours is a massive step over that Sandybridge i7, the 2600 would still work ok but not so great at MT workloads. It would be the bottleneck. Our internet is gradually getting better over here but still limited access to fibre. Sorry to hear you're on satellite, that must be frustrating at times. Starlink should be an option soon hopefully.

20% on pretty much everything we buy (VAT) and import tax on anything we get from outside the EEC. Electronics are always cheaper over there in the US. :(
Sorry to hear about your ridiculous tax rates. That is crazy. The closest to that here in US is living in California. I live is Arizona.

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
So I took the plunge and got the DSO2D15 150MHz + AWG. Ended up getting it from the manufacturer at aliexpress. I've used them before aswell so I feel safer using my CC for protection. Not bad at all for £174 with my discounts...if it works well hehe. Big thanks to @MrChips, @dcbingaman, @Sensacell, @Ian0 and @Wolframore for all your input. I'll do a final post once I have it and follow up for anyone else who would be interested.
:)