Need advice about Quad copter pesticide spray

airwolf137

Joined Dec 9, 2013
Hello,
I am a university student and I want to make a pesticide spray using a quad copter. I want to know which quadcopter can be helpful for doing this project.
Also I want to integrate a GPS module on the quadcopter so that I can give GPS co-ordinates on the laptop, and the quadcopter will follow those co-ordinates , Sort of way points , and following those way points it will spray on the field.
Any help regarding this will be appreciated .
Looking forward to the help
Thanks

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Many countries, including the United States, take a very dim view of FPV without a safety pilot in visual contact at all times. It would seem redundant to use GPS in that circumstance.

On top of that, other agencies, including USDA and EPA regulate pesticide sprays. While violations of the environmental rules and airspace have not been vigorously prosecuted for first offenders to date, recent incidents in NY and NJ may well change that. Most important, any liability insurance coverage you have or think you have, including your parents if you are under 21, will likely be voided by violating the rules.

As a practical matter, how much weight do you need to carry? How many gallons per acre do you intend to spray? You may well find that a few calculations will show the impracticality of using a hobby-size quad copter. If you haven't made that calculation, how do you expect anyone here to guess what your payload capability needs to be?

John

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Hello,
I am a university student and I want to make a pesticide spray using a quad copter. I want to know which quadcopter can be helpful for doing this project.
Also I want to integrate a GPS module on the quadcopter so that I can give GPS co-ordinates on the laptop, and the quadcopter will follow those co-ordinates , Sort of way points , and following those way points it will spray on the field.
Any help regarding this will be appreciated .
Looking forward to the help
Thanks
Based on your question; I hope you're not on an engineering course.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Based on your question; I hope you're not on an engineering course.
These people walk among us - and often get engineering jobs!

When the Garrador fell off my garage, the workman who came to fix it mentioned that Garrador is a division of the company that owns Westland helicopters.

Now I get very nervous and worry about falling objects whenever a helicopter flies over!!!

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Just someone that came up with what he thought was a great idea except without the knowledge to think it through to the obvious conclusion.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What country are you in?

I think this is a horrible idea; leave it to the professional crop dusters who can adjust for wind conditions. Doubt that you could carry enough spray on a hobbyist level drone anyway.

If you're in the US or a country that uses nofly.org, make sure you honor drone no-fly zones. It's open season on any I see flying over my property...

In the news recently...

4 encounters of drones at 2000-3000 feet reported by commercial airline pilots. None were within 5 miles of the airport, but alarmed the pilots anyway. Those drones are limited by the FAA to 400 feet max.

Dozen-ish reports of drones interferring with crews fighting fires in California. Several caused crews spreading flame retardant to be grounded. One or two caused helicopters to take evasive maneuvers. These jokers (drone pilots) are clueless; risking the lives of firefighters and allowing fires to spread. For what??

Last edited: