Need a heat wire

Thesmallstuff

Joined Feb 10, 2020
Are you looking wire to supply power to a heater or wire to itself produce heat?
I can’t use 110volts - safety . I thought of cutting out a piece of 110volt heating pad, but the amps n voltage could seriously harm. I have an outlet near n would like to use an old dc power plug that powered an old phone . Will nichrom heat up with dc power ? Say 9 volts ?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
So what exactly do you need? A heating wire with crossection of 12AWG, or some kind of linear heater that has similar diameter? How much heat per meter do you need?
What is the purpose?

Thesmallstuff

Joined Feb 10, 2020
I want to run it under my toes. Ski an hour in zero degree weather then go inside n plug into an outlet n heat my toes 5 minutes then go back outside n ski . Heatronics sells a battery pack system for such use at hundreds of dollars . I won’t buy it because at best such a system can only deliver around 5 watts for an hour - not worth it . I guess I need 20 watts a boot to warm my toes in 5 minutes . I plan to tape an insulated wired under the bend of my toes from left to right and run a dc chord up my interior boot - carry a dc plug in my pocket n plug in ?

Thesmallstuff

Joined Feb 10, 2020
I want to run it under my toes. Ski an hour in zero degree weather then go inside n plug into an outlet n heat my toes 5 minutes then go back outside n ski . Heatronics sells a battery pack system for such use at hundreds of dollars . I won’t buy it because at best such a system can only deliver around 5 watts for an hour - not worth it . I guess I need 20 watts a boot to warm my toes in 5 minutes . I plan to tape an insulated wired under the bend of my toes from left to right and run a dc chord up my interior boot - carry a dc plug in my pocket n plug in ?
I thought about wrapping this around the boot liner (the liner slides into the boot plastic shell )
https://www.adafruit.com/added

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
For heating in ski boots you certainly do not want that big a wire or that much heat. Rip apart an old electric blanket and recover a few feet of that heating wire, which will have about the right heat output per foot. But since you will have a much shorter section of it you will need to use a much lower voltage. There are lots of small power supplies, 12 volts at 2 or 3 amps, and about 1 inch by 2 inch by 4 inches. DigiKey is one source, but they are often available at resale shops for much less. But you will need to try it out long before putting the heat wire in your boots. and keep in mind that wire in your ski boots will be uncomfortable at best. Unless they are cross-country ski boots, in which case, why bother.