Need a bit of help with Arduino

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
Help.. I had two micros, one didn't work so I burned a new bootloader and viola, it worked.
BUT!! to do this I reprogrammed by trusty ol' Arduino UNO into a programmer " Arduino as programmer" Now I cannot get it back.

When I upload a sketch it sits at "Uploading"... no errors or timeout.. I stuck the IDE on verbose... But compiles okay and wont finish.
I bought a USBasp and tried to reflash the arduino... Nada... I bought a new 328p and programmed with a parallel programmer... Nada.

I'm wondering if the SMT usb part is faulty..

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
The TX or RX function may have got reassigned on the old Uno. That would make it non responsive to programmers that use those lines or the USB serial port for communication. Using a Uno to program another Uno usually uses MOSI, MISO and SCK so try using the one with the new bootloader as a programmer to load a bootloader onto the non functional one.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
I'm starting to beleive the USB xxxu16 on the arduino board is faulty

This is what I think I did wrong... I was messing with two Arduino micro's When I programmed the Arduino UNO to be the programmer I still has micro selected But these are 19200 baud.. The Arduino UNO is supposed to be 115200 so its not talking.

If I re select micro to program the UNO it reports the wrong board.. (Incidentally.. board info still works )

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
Like I said.. I have a USBasp which is the same thing... Nothing.. AVRDUDE say's cant set sck over and over then fails..

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Have you re-loaded the bootloader into the Uno. The arduino IDE won't upload without the bootloader being present. (Tools, Burn Bootloader). Otherwise it is possible something got toasted. I have one Uno as a programmer, but come to think of it, I never tried to restore it back to a regular Uno with a bootloader.
Also, check what "Programmer" you have selected. You have to go back to regular programming mode, not "Arduino as ISP"
Good luck

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Just a thought: I had one micro that I updated its bootloader using my micro ISP programmer. After that, I could not load a program because the Arduino ISP would not recognize it. I finally managed to load a program into it using the programmer and the "Upload Using Programmer" command in the "Sketch" menu.
Its worth a try!

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
YEEEEAAAH!!!

I tried once more with the TL866 with the different fuse settings.. Uploaded the optiboot to a new atmel.. Working!!

So for some reason the fuse settings were off.. Probably because I programmed the wrong chip when I loaded the ISP sketch

Christ knows how... But now I know... one revived Arduino Uno...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
YEEEEAAAH!!!

I tried once more with the TL866 with the different fuse settings.. Uploaded the optiboot to a new atmel.. Working!!

So for some reason the fuse settings were off.. Probably because I programmed the wrong chip when I loaded the ISP sketch

Christ knows how... But now I know... one revived Arduino Uno...
And you got yourself a gift of another.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
Yep... The one coming is a kinda clone, so I'm glad the original is up and running.

For anyone who needs to know... The bootRST fuse has to be on.. Programming the wrong settings turned it off..

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
You know I said "kinda clone" Well they seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to make it LOOK like an original..

20210404_093044.jpg20210404_093058.jpg

But it is definitely a clone

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
I was quite surprised to see it... I don't mind, but I don't see why they spent the extra cash to sell it cheap????

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I was quite surprised to see it... I don't mind, but I don't see why they spent the extra cash to sell it cheap????
I'd imagine the OEM is selling it cheap and the resellers willing to sell it as genuine price it that way but some just sell it as a clone since it doesn't cost much more to make it look like that once you've tooled up.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
True... The Arduino was only £7 dearer... But my experience is that even clones behave correctly... Same chip same program..

The clone even came with a USB lead ( these are usually the worst part!)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
True... The Arduino was only £7 dearer... But my experience is that even clones behave correctly... Same chip same program..

The clone even came with a USB lead ( these are usually the worst part!)
Clones are fine, counterfeits make me uncomfortable. It's open source, so anyone can build it, but this is made to look like it was made by someone else in order to use their reputation. I have purchased generic versions of things that arrived as counterfeits, like you did, but when people sell the counterfeits... that's different.