Name of time_based coding

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Maybe a "home grown" code? My guess is it communicates between two microcontrollers using timers in Output Compare mode on the transmit end and Input Capture mode on the receiving end. It may not have a name.

daryooosh

Joined Jun 15, 2019
Maybe a "home grown" code? My guess is it communicates between two microcontrollers using timers in Output Compare mode on the transmit end and Input Capture mode on the receiving end. It may not have a name.
Thank you
It is used to send digital data through RF (433 MHz) signal.
Module used in this project is Tx8 and Rxb13.

daryooosh

Joined Jun 15, 2019
hi,
Is there any matching Bit coding in this PDF.
Your 'sample' does not give enough information as to the type.?
E
Thank you for answer

I don't read your PDF completely.
What information do you need exactly?

The data is digital signal (3 Byte code) which is transferred through RF (433 MHz code).

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
The fact that it's use for 433MHz Tx//Rx suggests that its a non standard, as stated in post #3.
Are you having problems linking the Tx/Rx with the coding.?
E

daryooosh

Joined Jun 15, 2019
hi,
The fact that it's use for 433MHz Tx//Rx suggests that its a non standard, as stated in post #3.
Are you having problems linking the Tx/Rx with the coding.?
E
No, it work fine, only I want to understand its standard value. Ok i know it is not standard.
Why don't send raw Data?

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
I think the RF portion of the transmission path using ASK is not dependent on the type of code. The transmitter and receiver just convert the logic levels to a modulated RF signal and recover the logic levels. The code is dependent on the devices connected to the RF modules. Perhaps small microcontrollers or dedicated ICs for remote controls, keyless entry, etc?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What you haven't described in adequate detail is whether your setup communicates in ordinary binary or whether it is some specialized code to activate , say, 4 relays/switches.

Let's assume the latter, as that is how so many of those RxTx units communicate. What does the code for each switch look like? In older RC systems for models, it was pulse position modulation. That is, the position of the signal within a 20-ms frame told which channel.

If it is the former, give some examples other than 1010, for example 1001, 0001, etc.

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Thank you
I know its modulation is ASK, Coding process is done on microcontroller and then send to Tx8 module.
What don't send Data without coding?
In your case, coding is applied to allow differentiation between 0 and 1. The rising edge gives a reference for determining a 1 or 0 by the width of the positive portion of the signal. For example, what if there is a string of 1s? The signal is just high all the time with no timing reference. You cannot tell where one bit ends and another bit begins. This is OK is there is also a separate clock signal for timing. Another way to think of it is the clock signal is combined or "encoded" into the signal along with the data.

Last edited:

daryooosh

Joined Jun 15, 2019
In your case, coding is applied to allow differentiation between 0 and 1. The rising edge gives a reference for determining a 1 or 0 by the width of the positive portion of the signal. For example, what if there is a string of 1s? The signal is just high all the time with no timing reference. This is OK is there is also a separate clock signal for timing. Another way to think of it is the clock signal is "encoded" into the signal along with the data.
Thank you
Your are right, coding is used for Self-Clocking purpose, But i think it must use a standard coding (e.g. Manchester) instead this "home grown" coding schema or perhaps encoding and decoding with this methode is easier than standards coding schema.

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Thank you
Your are right, coding is used for Self-Clocking purpose, But i think it must use a standard coding (e.g. Manchester) instead this "home grown" coding schema or perhaps encoding and decoding with this methode is easier than standards coding schema.
I would go with "easier". The scheme is very easy for a small, inexpensive microcontroller with an "Input Capture/Output Compare" timer which is very, very common. Also, the code does not need to run continuously (some do). So, the the microcontroller can spend most of the time sleeping and consuming very, very low power. I call it "home grown" but it could be a "standard" coding for a particular type of product or application.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
What is name of following coding schema :
It isn't Manchester or diff Manchester or BMC.
This is a self-clocking coding scheme which, as far as I know, has no "official" name. Others have suggested PWM, but I dislike that designation because to me, PWM implies a digital emulation of analog. This is a scheme for transmitting digital data.

If I had to choose a name for it myself, I would pick PWC-- Pulse Width Coding. The rising edge of the waveform marks the beginning of a bit period, and the duration of the logic HIGH time determines whether the bit is a 1 or a 0.

This scheme is used in the popular WS2812 RGB LED controllers.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
1577809655817.png

In picture above, the upper trace is analog. The bottom trace is 1-bit digital.
Picture below shows PWM of a sine wave.

1577809728341.png

TS waveform has only two values. Thus it is still PWM with two values.

1577809868820.png