Name of "step switch"

Simon Larsen

Joined Feb 22, 2015
What do we call a multi-step-switch like the one below (TRACK INSTRUMENT). Its like a stepwise potentiometer thingy. It goes click-click when turning it... I've tried to find it (or something similar) on i.e. aliexpress.com without luck. Any ideas?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Rotary switch. It comes in many different configurations of poles and positions. Depending on your requirements, it might be multi-deck.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It could also be a rotary encoder, with detents that produce the click. It is not actually a switch at all but rather a device that outputs two signals in quadrature. By looking at the pattern of transitions you can tell whether the switch is going clockwise or counter clockwise. They can also be made without the detents for a smooth tuning effect.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
there are also potentiometers (volume controls) with a detent mechansim built in. some high end audio equipment and mobile equipment use them.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
With a multi-function switch, It is not usually very efficient use of inputs etc to use an unencoded type, i.e. 8 position, 8 inputs, so generally a coding method is used BCD etc.
The type I use are made by Grayhill which can supply many forms of code switching or one can wire up a mult-deck switch as a custom manner.
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
What do we call a multi-step-switch like the one below (TRACK INSTRUMENT). Its like a stepwise potentiometer thingy. It goes click-click when turning it... I've tried to find it (or something similar) on i.e. aliexpress.com without luck. Any ideas?

They're also called rotary selector switches... look for them in Digikey... but you might have to open your device and have a closer look to make sure that that's what you're looking for.
In fact, why don't you do just that, and post some pics here? It might be more helpful for us to try to figure out what it is exactly that you need.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Whichever type it is make sure you document which wire goes where before you take it apart. We have people bring stuff into the school when they take something like that apart and want us to guess which wire goes where because they didn't document it.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Whichever type it is make sure you document which wire goes where before you take it apart. We have people bring stuff into the school when they take something like that apart and want us to guess which wire goes where because they didn't document it.
Good point... what I usually do is take a few pictures before disassembling. A pic's worth a thousand notes...

Simon Larsen

Joined Feb 22, 2015
oh, its actually not my device... I am about to create a similar device... and I needed a button like that.

...a "rotary switch" like that :)

Simon Larsen

Joined Feb 22, 2015
The input is going to an atmega 328p microcontroller. I have not worked at the details yet. But I might use a shift reg. for scanning inputs so I only use a few digital input pins on the microcontroller... The device (drum machine with 8-bit-commodore64-like sounds) will have something like:

Inputs:
8 buttons (for triggering the drum sounds).
A few extra digital inputs (maybe 2-3.. not sure yet) for controlling the sequencer part (programming the rhythm)
max 8 potentiometers for adjusting sound for each instrument/drum and setting the tempo.

Outputs:
LEDs and 7-segment displays for useability.

...I am still in the UI-development phase. I believe I have the audio circuit + code pretty much in place now... I am curious to see if my IO source code will ruin my audio timing ;-)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The input is going to an atmega 328p microcontroller. I have not worked at the details yet. But I might use a shift reg. for scanning inputs so I only use a few digital input pins on the microcontroller... The device (drum machine with 8-bit-commodore64-like sounds) will have something like:

Inputs:
8 buttons (for triggering the drum sounds).
A few extra digital inputs (maybe 2-3.. not sure yet) for controlling the sequencer part (programming the rhythm)
max 8 potentiometers for adjusting sound for each instrument/drum and setting the tempo.

Outputs:
LEDs and 7-segment displays for useability.

...I am still in the UI-development phase. I believe I have the audio circuit + code pretty much in place now... I am curious to see if my IO source code will ruin my audio timing ;-)
In that case, I'd suggest you use a binary counter rotary switch. How many positions would you like it to have?

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
If you are going to build micro-controller based device, you could replace this switch with a pair of buttons "up" and "down". Then have a group of LEDs to show what's selected. Also means you can have a default state at power-up. If you are also going to have a display panel of some sort you could use that. Either a continuous display or the display could indicate the new selection for a short time before going back to whatever it was displaying before.