My TM MC-60 setup! What do you think?

reharik

Joined Nov 4, 2019
Hi! I finally got all the pieces parts together for my treadmill motor conversion! I'm very pleased. Or maybe I'm just very pleased to be almost done. This is my first project every so i had to do a lot of research. I received good help here on this forum.
What I've got is just a beat old TM motor (more beat than I thought from the pictures on ebay :) ) being controlled by an mc-60. I created legs or pigtails or whatever you'd call it from all the connectors on the board so that when I was connecting and disconnecting I wouldn't constantly be pulling on the board. Other than that I have a big fat on off switch, a 5k pot, and a regular 120v light switch wired into the wiper line of the pot. I intent to get a light switch with a little light inside it to indicate when there main power is still on.
My only questions left are
1) I have a ground, of course, coming from the AC. Currently it's just hangin. I don't really know what to do with it.
2) does it look like this thing is going to catch fire after I use it for 15 minutes? I'm thinking, maybe the box is too small, although it feel pretty big.
3) I'm curious as to why people recommend the 5k pot so much. From my research I gather that the difference is the point in which the motor actually engages. I have to turn the pot about 1/4 - 3/8 turn before it starts to move. I'm not going to replace t but I would have rather started with a 10k or 20k which I understand would engage much earlier..
Thanks!
R

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Your earth should be connected to the aluminum frame and the motor frame only.
Also, as the control does not use an isolated supply, the Pot ideally would have a plastic shaft or at least be protected by an insulated style knob.
The slow start maybe the characteristics of the motor, did you measure the motor voltage at the point before it rotates?
Did you obtain a motor choke in the end?
Max.

reharik

Joined Nov 4, 2019
Hi Max,
I read a thread in here, I think, which you were a part of where the guy hooked ground to the mc60 heatsink/frame and it fried his board. It was a number of years ago ( for you, last night for me :) ). I'm a little concerned about doing that. I could run the ground through to the motor pretty easily.
As per the pot, no I did not measure it. I mean I barely have a wire cutter. I should get a voltmeter. I think I had one when I was young but i'm sure it's mia. If I find the pot bothers me I"ll get one and check it out before I jump to conclusions. I do like jumping to conclusions but whatever.
My motor has three wires, your typical red and black and the a green. I'm guessing the green is the thermal sensor, but I mean green, makes me think of ground. One other thing is that the red and black wire are wound several times through a metal ring thing, and the green has it's own metal ring thing. I"m sure I should know what that is but I don't if someone could explain, well, I'd be that much smarter.
Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The ferrite ring is a suppresion device, Green on the motor is Ground, if it was a thermal sensor it would be two wires and often blue.
I don't have a MC-60 here at the moment to confirm the GND connection, I know the MC2100 has a ground termination on the frame.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If getting in to implementing devices such as T.M. controllers a meter is essential, simple ones can be had for less than $10.00!
Max.