My PC Desktop not showing Icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
So is it working or not working?Is it working under one particular user but not another? This was mentioned several posts ago.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Have you checked with Windows Explorer to see if the files are there? Navigate to "C:\Users\{name}\Desktop" and tell us what you see. {name} is your username...

What did you mean by switch user?

Perhaps your user profile has been corrupted. I suspect this may be the case. There is a process to copy your old files to a new profile, that is described here.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think this could be as simple as the monitor being set to the wrong resolution or placed into a mode where it is not mirroring the desktop.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Have you checked with Windows Explorer to see if the files are there? Navigate to "C:\Users\{name}\Desktop" and tell us what you see. {name} is your username...
Yes it is showing all icon here!

C:\Users\abc\Desktop

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
But you can't copy the registry files, e.g. NTUSER.DAT and others (I'm in the car).

If the profile itself is corrupted, you need to create a new one, and then copy the files of the old user (more than just the desktop) to the new user as administrator. Excluding the file(s) previously mentioned.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
But you can't copy the registry files, e.g. NTUSER.DAT and others (I'm in the car).

If the profile itself is corrupted, you need to create a new one, and then copy the files of the old user (more than just the desktop) to the new user as administrator. Excluding the file(s) previously mentioned.

It is not a registry entry. They are files.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Registry has nothing to do with the desktop icons.

Icons are files with the lnk extension stored in the users desktop directory. Icons common to all users are stored in \Users\Public\Desktop.

upload_2015-11-19_15-33-7.png

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Registry has nothing to do with the desktop icons.

Icons are files with the lnk extension stored in the users desktop directory. Icons common to all users are stored in \Users\Public\Desktop.

View attachment 94958
Files with the .lnk extension are not icons. They are shortcuts, providing a link to a file stored in a different location. Icons are small graphic images, which are embedded in an executable or library. What is displayed on the desktop is configured in the users profile, which is stored in the registry... In the case of a data or text file, the associated program supplies the icon. So if the icon does not appear, it can be that it is physically missing, or the profile is corrupted and is unable to tell Windows what to display.
There are other options, too. Windows may think there are two displays, and the non-existent one is the primary display. If it hasn't been said yet, right-clicking on the desktop and selecting "Screen Resolution" will provide some insight into that possibility.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
assumption - the icons show up for 1 user and no-one else

log in as the user that can see the icons and copy/paste them into the 'all users' profile

or get the person that originally put the shortcuts on the desktop for that user to do the same for all users

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
But that is what he means. So it is irrelevant what you call them.
It's irrelevant if you call an oscilloscope a wiggle TV. I'm an IT professional for an MSP and deal with this all the time.

The bottom line is that it is not displaying icons of files that are there and secondly it works for other profiles. There is something wrong with the files, profile or display. Tom's suggestion is a good diagnostic one, but doesn't resolve the problem.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It's irrelevant if you call an oscilloscope a wiggle TV. I'm an IT professional for an MSP and deal with this all the time.

The bottom line is that it is not displaying icons of files that are there and secondly it works for other profiles. There is something wrong with the files, profile or display. Tom's suggestion is a good diagnostic one, but doesn't resolve the problem.
Enough already. You just want to argue for the sake of arguing. I won't play that game.

I already gave the OP the solution a number of posts ago. Up to him if he want to implment it.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hello again,
http://www.ehow.com/about_6697490_ntuser-dat-file_.html
I have opened Windows Explor. and where is the hidden ribbon

press "Windows-E" to open Windows Explorer and then click "View" on the ribbon bar. Click "Options," and then choose "Change Folder and Search Options." Click the "View" tab in the Folder Options window, select "Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives" in the Advanced Settings pane and then click "OK."

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.